7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 12:03 PM by krisverlaenen

BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x

christoph.rettig

Hi, I am trying to get the BPMN 2.0 plugin running under mac os x and already tried eclipse helios and indigo - both in classic version but

with none of the installations I could get the plugins shown in eclipse (u

nder File -> New - Other ... select BPMN - BPMN2 Diagram)

Can you point out concrete versions (and brands like classic/jee/modelling) of eclipse, java (1.5 resp. 1.6) and graphiti (0.7.1 resp. 0.8.0) to use to get the plugins

working?

regards, Chris

• 1. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
          krisverlaenen

Hi,

Have you tried following

http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.1/userguide/ch09.html

That contains a link to a screencast that shows how to install everything.

http://vimeo.com/22022128

If that fails for you, could you point out where exactly you are getting a different result?

Thx,

Kris

• 2. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
            christoph.rettig

Hi Kris, I did use this documentation and the problem is that with all my combinations of eclipse version/brand and java versions I can install all the plugins (graphiti and bpmn 2.0) successfully but after restarting eclipse I don't see the artefacts that should be available ("file new ...." or special

views).

I will give it another try with eclipse helios SR2 (this seems to be the version used in the screencast) and get back here if the problem still

remains (with my tries I used helios and indigo).

c

So, I did install eclipse helios sr2 modelling version, ggraphiti and bpmn 2.0 plugins and am running java 6.

When I create a sample project and import the bpmn 2.0 sample projects into mine I see the picture

I have attached - so I guess the plugin is not active.

I have also attached a screenshot of the installed plugins.

c

• 3. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
              krisverlaenen

I don't have a mac machine to try this on unfortunately, have you tried to verify this indeed is a mac issue (for example tried it out on a linux or windows)?

Ok, I just retried with the following:

eclipse-java-helios-SR2 (on linux using Java 1.6.0.24)

installed graphiti through the update site http://download.eclipse.org/graphiti/updates/0.7.1/ (restart eclipse after installation)

installed BPMN2 plugin through the update site http://codehoop.com/bpmn2 (restart eclipse after installation)

After doing that, if I select File -> New -> Other there now is a BPMN2 category with BPMN2 diagram inside.

Note that I'm using helios java version (not classic or any of the others), could you give that one a try (in case there might be a conflict with any of the other additional plugins)?

Do you have the Graphiti wizards under File -> New -> Other ... and then category Examples - Graphiti?  That should tell us whether Graphiti was at least installed successfully.

Did you also restart eclipse after installation each time (not sure if this may be related but you never know)?

If all else fails, could you maybe paste your error log (Window -> Show View -> Error log and then click the Open Log button, that might give us more information as well.

Kris

• 4. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
                christoph.rettig

Hi, it seems to me that Graphiti has problems under Mac OS X. I tried to install it under eclipse 3.6 and also 3.7 (graphiti 0.7.1 resp. 0.8.0)

and I did not see either the Graphiti documentation, not its examples.

Guess I will give it a try under my windows VMWare image and come back with the results.

c

P.S. I love eclipse, you install plugins and get no feedback if they are working at all ...

• 5. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
                  christoph.rettig

Ok, installed under windows (7, 32 bit), everything worked fine (graphiti and bpmn 2.0) - so far so good:)

Under Mac it seems to me that Graphiti is not working at all; I tried it now with eclipse 3.7 (same version as on windows) with

both java 1.6 (64bit) and 1.5 (32 bit) and none worked.

[christophrettig@vie-nb-cre] /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions > ./1.6.0/Home/bin/java -version

java version "1.6.0_24"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07-334-9M3326)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02-334, mixed mode)

[christophrettig@vie-nb-cre] /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions > ./1.5.0/Home/bin/java -version

java version "1.5.0_28"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_28-b04-382-9M3326)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_28-157, mixed mode, sharing)

So, thank you very much for your help but I guess I have to clarify this with the Graphiti support, its really a shame that

everything is that complicated under mac:(

thank you, c

• 6. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
                    christoph.rettig

Ok, last note on this:

using mac os x (version 10.5.8 for me) you have to stick with

• the 64bit version of eclipse helios (I am using eclipse helios SR2 for java developers)
                    • Java 1.6.0, 64bit (I am running 1.6.0_024 which is the latest version of Java on mac right now)
                    • graphiti 0.7.1 (as the 0.8.0 version is only for indigo and the plugins do not work with 0.8.0)

and everything forks fine. Hope this is a good reference for others in the future.

Many thanks to Kris for his help!!

c

• 7. Re: BPMN 2.0 plugins on mac os x
                      krisverlaenen

Thanks a lot for the feedback.  This should definitely help other users having the same problem.

Kris