2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 5:57 AM by nishiroha

How can I create an appliance in a different region such as ap.northeast-1

nishiroha

Hello All,

I am trying to build appliances for the ap-notheast-1 region with boxgrinder.  It seems to default to us-east-1?    How can I build for the ap-notheast-1 reagion?   I thought   --delivery-config could work but the key:value used such as region:ap-northeast-1 has not worked.  Or better yet how can I get the boxgrinder meta appliance ami over to the ap-northeast-1 reagion?

These are the kernels I would need to use for an ap-northeast-1 ami.

ec2-describe-images --region ap-northeast-1 -o amazon | grep pv-grub

aki-d209a2d3    ec2-public-images-ap-northeast-1/pv-grub-hd0-V1.01-i386.gz.manifest.xml      i386

aki-d409a2d5    ec2-public-images-ap-northeast-1/pv-grub-hd0-V1.01-x86_64.gz.manifest.xml       x86_64

aki-d609a2d7    ec2-public-images-ap-northeast-1/pv-grub-hd00-V1.01-i386.gz.manifest.xml        i386

aki-d809a2d9    ec2-public-images-ap-northeast-1/pv-grub-hd00-V1.01-x86_64.gz.manifest.xml      x86_64

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How can I create an appliance in a different region such as ap.northeast-1
          goldmann

Hi Marcus,

Yes, you need to execute the build on a instance wunning in ap-northeast region. At this time we haven't uploaded any meta appliances to regions other than us-east, but we have a ticket to achieve this for the next version: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/BGBUILD-201.

Once you have meta appliance (or any other instance) running in your selected region - run the build as usual - we're calculating the curretn availibility zone for instance where the build is executed. There is also an availability_zone config value for EBS plugin (which is currently undocumented - my fault, will fix it soon) where you can specify the region - in your case: ap-southeast-1. But this will throw an error if you try to build the AMI for different region than currently running (AWS limitation).

--Marek

• 2. Re: How can I create an appliance in a different region such as ap.northeast-1
            nishiroha

Hello Marek,

Thank you for the fast response.  I will continue to be patient until the 0.9.3 version is released.  In the meantime I will just have to get better working with the guts of aws.

Again Thanks.

-Marcus