2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 2:55 AM by thomas.diesler

start from reading the code

thunder.farmer

Hi,

Is there anybody who is interseting in reading the JBoss AS7 source code or would like give some guidelines?

I believe there are a lot of people like me who would like to get involved in development by don't know where to start.

I think we can share our understanding about the source code, and list our quizzes here, some senior people can give some guidelines for the quizzes.

The guideline doesn't need to go into details, just brief comments would be very helpful to the newbie.

If we can get some process on this idea, I think more people would get involved.

Thanks,

Thunder

• 1. Re: start from reading the code
          thunder.farmer

Here is my first quiz:

When I get the latest code from git repository "git://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as.git", I start reading the code from org.jboss.as.server.Main.java.

In the code I can see the Bootstrap class initialze the module "URLStreamHandlerFactoryModule--org.jboss.vfs"  and install the container service "jboss-as". But I can find the where all other services and modules such as naming, JPA, messaging are initialized and loaded.

I believe there are interfaces between container service "jboss-as" and all other modules and services, and all the modules and services are intialized and loaded in the same way.

Any comments are  appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• 2. Re: start from reading the code
            thomas.diesler

You can start by looking at the standalone configuration (standalone.xml). There you see the various subsystems defined. Each subsystem parses its own configuration and installs its respective jboss-msc services. Services can be started/stoped and have depedencies on other services. In service start you see what the respective service does on startup.