9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 6:38 AM by maxandersen

JPA reverse engineer & MySQL

ericjvandervelden

Hello,

When I use JPA Tools to reverse engineer  tables in a MySQL database, called sample2 here, I get for table F:

Entity

@Table(name = "F", catalog= "sample2")

public class F implements java.io.Serializable {

But if there is a database connection (which you give when you right click on your entry in the 'Database Connections' view, for example), so that validation is on, this is not validated; I get

catalog "sample2" cannot be resolved for table "F"

But when I change "catalog" to "schema" then it is validated. So this is OK:  

Entity

@Table(name = "F", schema= "sample2")

public class F implements java.io.Serializable {

So is reverse engineering in case of MySQL going OK by JPA Tools, or am I doing something wrong? I use the JBoss Tools 3.2 stable.

Thanks,

Eric J.

• 1. JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
          maxandersen

hmm - sounds like a bug in mysql reverse engineering....

Might be related to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-7488 fix

Workaround set hibernate.default_catalog="sample2" and you should not get any mentions of catalog in your reverse engineering.

• 2. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
            dgeraskov

Eric J. Van der Velden,

could you please check the validation with @Table(name = "F", schema= "sample2", catalog= "sample2")

I guess hibernate tool doesn't add schema as consider it as default.

(In url you have something jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/?nullCatalogMeansCurrent=false)

where mymysql is schema and you don't need to override it.

Does hibernate work with generated annotation:

@Table(name = "F", catalog= "sample2")

or with updated

@Table(name = "F", schema= "sample2")?

Please check also

@Table(name = "F", schema= "sample2", catalog= "sample2")

• 3. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
              dgeraskov

I ask this because it could be a problem of the validator, but not hibernate tools.

• 4. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
                dgeraskov

Eric,

we checked this ourself. The hibernate works well with @Table(name = "F", catalog= "sample2") and one of the folowwing:

1) jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/?nullCatalogMeansCurrent=false

2) jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sample2

3) jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/ hibernate.default_catalog=sample2

sample2

@Table(name = "F", schema= "sample2") works in the cases:

1) jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/?nullCatalogMeansCurrent=false

2) jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sample2

3) jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/ hibernate.default_schema=sample2

The jpa validator is not consistent in some cases

• 5. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
                  reskejal

Any news about this topic??

I have the same problem with stable release of jboss developer studio (6.0).

In my case the error is only for the validator because i can use the genereted class without problem.

i'm also able to fix the error but i need remove manually the catalog definition and have an annotation like this

@Table(name = "F")

and default values (in JPA property windows) are "Default" for catalog and "Default (sample2)" for schema

Also with this fix my project work.

In jboss dev studio i have a Database Connection like jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sample2

while on AS and in persistence.xml use data source with jta  (connection string is always like jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sample2)

Is there a way to not generate the catalog attribute in annotation ??

Thanks.

• 6. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
                    gerry.matte

This behavior has been standard for MySQL and hibernate from the beginning.    I belive the MySQL driver interprets a database schema the same as an Oracle catalog .... but a MySQL catalog has subtle differences from a schema and does not play well with hibernate. 

My standard fix up (workaround) is to immediately remove the catalog property.  I most frequently use Forge to reverse engineer and generate a CRUD webapp ..... so it's become routine for me.  Thanks to Eric for reporting the issue .... I should have done so long ago.

• 7. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
                      maxandersen

set hibernate.default_catalog and hibernate.default_schema and the reverse engineering will obey that and remove it.

If someone know of a way to reliably know from a jdbc connection which schema/catalog is the default then we could avoid this, but I haven't found a way that is sane.

• 8. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
                        reskejal

Thanks for yours suggestions!

@Gerry many thanks...Forge its a great project.

@Max i try to set these properties in persistence.xml and in the optional parameters of the database connection..but with no luck, i have always the catalog annotation

• 9. Re: JPA reverse engineer & MySQL
                          maxandersen

hmm - it should just work.

Can you show me the generated code and the persistence.xml you are using ?