1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 10:51 AM by bertoz84

ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException - can't solve

Hi all, i really need help to overcome this error.

I'm going to paste the interesting parts of my code:

TEST BEAN ( we are inside a method called by the java test client ):

try {

System.out.println("lowering the amount of the selected book");

Book abook = (Book) bookop.findByISBN(80002).get(0);  // Book is an entity bean --- bookop is the istance of a session bean that performs                                                                                                 // operations on Book

bookop.updateMin(abook.getISBN(), 2); // tot - 2

// OPERATION updateMin DONE SUCCESSFULLY

} catch (Exception e) {

e.printStackTrace();

}

Users an_user = (Users) user.findByUser("mouse").get(0);  // Users is an entity bean --- user is the istance of a session bean that performs                                                                                                   // operations on Users

cart.checkoutCart(an_user); // cart is the istance of a session statefull bean that performs classic operations like in a web site ( bookshop )

// to see what this method go down

-end

CART BEAN ( the called method ):

public void checkoutCart(Users customer) {

for (int i = 0; i < books.size(); i++)   // where books is: private List<CartBook> books , a simple class made up of a Book and the quantity                                                                    // to purchase of that book

{

Book abook = books.get(i).getBook();

Integer quantity = books.get(i).getQuantity();

try {

System.out.println("lowering the amount of the selected book");

DBOperation.updateMin(abook.getISBN(), quantity); // DBOperation is the same as bookop seen before

// ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException

} catch (Exception e) {

e.printStackTrace();

}

}

}

-end

so basically the code is the same; the difference is that going through the cart bean i can lower the quantity of a list of books ( that are the books that a customer puts in his cart: when he performs a checkout operation the method updateMin lowers the amount of every books purchased in the store ) instead of only one.

the problem is that through the cart i get always the ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException in the DBOperation.updateMin methods that is exactly the same of bookop.updateMin.

Every cicle of the for( ) command i get this error.

I can assure that my list is not empty and abook & quantity are not null.

I really don't get the problem!

Thank you in advance!!

• 1. Re: ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException - can't solve

I think i got the problem:

the null pointer is the entity manager, but why?

that is a part of the structure of my whole project:

java client

|

| ( calls a method of )

v

test stateless bean

|

| ( calls a method of )

v

Cart operations statefull bean

( here i create an entity manager to perform transactional operations and call em.flush )

|

| ( calls a method of )

v

Book operations steless bean

( here i create an entity manager to perform transactional operations and call em.createQuery )

|

| ( create the records in the DB - hybernate )

v

Book entity bean

I create the em this way:

@PersistenceContext

EntityManager em;

both in the CART and BOOK OPERATIONS BEANS.

The first calls to the entity manager, such as em.createQuery(....) inside the BOOK OPERATIONS BEAN return a null pointer ( so i think the em is not a valid pointer ). If i call the same method of the BOOK OPERATIONS BEAN called in the CART BEAN but from the TEST BEAN ( so i avoid using the CART BEAN ) i don't get problems.

I think there's a problem with more than one istance of the em or with the statefull bean but i can't get what's the point.

someone can help me?