5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 5:50 AM by jaikiran

How much time a Message will reside in a Queue/Topic

vinayknr41

Hello All

I have some doubts in JbossMessaging .............pls help

1) I have created a queue/topic ...and i sent some messages to queue...but , i din't deploy any MDB to listen to that queue........ Now , for how much time the queue can persists all its messages ...??  if i shutdown my server and start it again , will queue contain all its messages   ....?? 

2) Any one , pls tell the links to create topic ....becuase i can able to create a topic and MDB''s listening the topic also .........But in admin console the topic status is coming as down .............

I have created the topic In the following way :

<mbean 

code="org.jboss.jms.server.destination.TopicService" 

name="jboss.messaging.destination:service=Topic,name=ReceivingTopic" 

xmbean-dd="xmdesc/Queue-xmbean.xml">

<attribute name="JNDIName">MessageBeanTopic</attribute> 

<attribute name="RedeliveryDelay">1000</attribute>

<attribute name="MaxDeliveryAttempts">1</attribute>

<depends optional-attribute-name="ServerPeer"> 

jboss.messaging:service=ServerPeer 

</depends>   

<depends> 

jboss.messaging:service=PostOffice 

</depends> 

<attribute name="SecurityConfig"> 

<security> 

<role name="guest" read="true" create="true" write = "true" /> 

</security>  

</attribute>  

</mbean> 

• 1. How much time a Message will reside in a Queue/Topic
          jaikiran

Vinay Bommarati wrote:

Hello All

I have some doubts in JbossMessaging .............pls help

1) I have created a queue/topic ...and i sent some messages to queue...but , i din't deploy any MDB to listen to that queue........ Now , for how much time the queue can persists all its messages ...??  if i shutdown my server and start it again , will queue contain all its messages   ....?? 

Messages to queues are durable (persisted) by default. They will survive restart.

Vinay Bommarati wrote:

2) Any one , pls tell the links to create topic ....becuase i can able to create a topic and MDB''s listening the topic also .........But in admin console the topic status is coming as down .............

I have created the topic In the following way :

<mbean 

code="org.jboss.jms.server.destination.TopicService" 

name="jboss.messaging.destination:service=Topic,name=ReceivingTopic" 

xmbean-dd="xmdesc/Queue-xmbean.xml">

<attribute name="JNDIName">MessageBeanTopic</attribute> 

<attribute name="RedeliveryDelay">1000</attribute>

<attribute name="MaxDeliveryAttempts">1</attribute>

<depends optional-attribute-name="ServerPeer"> 

jboss.messaging:service=ServerPeer 

</depends>   

<depends> 

jboss.messaging:service=PostOffice 

</depends> 

<attribute name="SecurityConfig"> 

<security> 

<role name="guest" read="true" create="true" write = "true" /> 

</security>  

</attribute>  

</mbean> 

Which version of JBoss AS is this? Do you see any error messages in the server.log?

• 2. How much time a Message will reside in a Queue/Topic
            vinayknr41

Hi jaikiran ,

Thanks for answering ........... Here , iam giving details for  my second question

Coming To Topic Creation :  Iam using jboss jboss-5.1.0.GA .  ( So Jboss Messaging is default JMS Provider ... From Jboss Messaging User Guide , I have Created Topic as above ).

With above xml ,  MDB's listening to topics are receiving Messages as well ... But Pls see the image below...The status of topic is down

stats.JPG

(MessageBeanTopic) : Its status is down

When I click on the topic to see the Number of durable messages :

Its giving me Exceptions in console like :

java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException: Failed to get property 'allMessa

geCount' on component 'jboss.messaging.destination:name=ReceivingTopic,service=T

pic'.

at org.jboss.profileservice.management.KernelBusRuntimeComponentDispatch

er.get(KernelBusRuntimeComponentDispatcher.java:119)

at org.jboss.profileservice.management.DelegatingComponentDispatcherImpl

.get(DelegatingComponentDispatcherImpl.java:55)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor381.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces

sorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at org.jboss.aop.Dispatcher.invoke(Dispatcher.java:121)

at org.jboss.aspects.remoting.AOPRemotingInvocationHandler.invoke(AOPRem

otingInvocationHandler.java:82)

at org.jboss.profileservice.remoting.ProfileServiceInvocationHandler.inv

oke(ProfileServiceInvocationHandler.java:97)

at org.jboss.remoting.ServerInvoker.invoke(ServerInvoker.java:891)

at org.jboss.remoting.transport.local.LocalClientInvoker.invoke(LocalCli

entInvoker.java:106)

at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:1724)

at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:629)

at org.jboss.aspects.remoting.InvokeRemoteInterceptor.invoke(InvokeRemot

eInterceptor.java:60)

at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.

java:102)

at org.jboss.aspects.remoting.MergeMetaDataInterceptor.invoke(MergeMetaD

ataInterceptor.java:74)

at org.jboss.aspects.security.SecurityClientInterceptor.invoke(SecurityC

lientInterceptor.java:65)

at org.jboss.aop.generatedproxies.AOPProxy$0.get(AOPProxy$0.java)

at org.jboss.profileservice.management.ManagedPropertyDelegate.getValue(

ManagedPropertyDelegate.java:154)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.ManagedComponentComponent.getSimpleValue(Man

agedComponentComponent.java:239)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.ManagedComponentComponent.getValues(ManagedC

omponentComponent.java:183)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.

java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces

sorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at org.rhq.core.pc.inventory.ResourceContainer$ComponentInvocationThread

.call(ResourceContainer.java:482)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:269)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:123)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec

utor.java:650)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor

.java:675)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Caused by: javax.management.AttributeNotFoundException: not found: AllMessageCou

nt

at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.getAttribute(AbstractMBeanIn

nt

Caused by: javax.management.AttributeNotFoundException: not found: AllMessageCount

Iam Unable to Understand Why JBoss unable to Get MessageCount for this topic......?? If topic creation itself is a problem , Why MDB's are receiving Messages Perfectly ??

• 3. How much time a Message will reside in a Queue/Topic
              jaikiran

I would suggest that you ignore the status and that error from the admin-console about the topic. There are some known issues with the status of various resources being reported in the admin-console. I think they have been fixed in JBoss AS6 (not sure). As long as your messaging is working fine, ignore the admin-console. If there are any errors when not using the admin-console, then it's a cause of concern.

• 4. How much time a Message will reside in a Queue/Topic
                vinayknr41

@Jai :  Ok , well .As long as MDB is receiving message its not a problem...... But ,  Can i migrate to HornetQ with Jboss AS 5 or is that a Complex task ??  And one more thing I observed is that , When I created Topic through Admin Console Its status is coming as Up .......

And Is there any another  way to see the number of messages/Durable , non-durable Subscriptions of a topic  like jmx-console or else any where et.??

Thanks In Advance

• 5. How much time a Message will reside in a Queue/Topic
                  jaikiran

Vinay Bommarati wrote:

@Jai :  Ok , well .As long as MDB is receiving message its not a problem...... But ,  Can i migrate to HornetQ with Jboss AS 5 or is that a Complex task ?? 

Those details can be found here http://hornetq.sourceforge.net/docs/hornetq-2.1.2.Final/quickstart-guide/en/html/index.html

Vinay Bommarati wrote:

And Is there any another  way to see the number of messages/Durable , non-durable Subscriptions of a topic  like jmx-console or else any where et.??

The appropriate MBeans in jmx-console would perhaps have those info. I haven't checked the operations exposed by those MBeans.