5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 9:53 AM by salaboy21

How to attach a pdf file to a human task

new-comer

Hi,

Does anybody know how to attach a file to a human task in jBPM 5.0 web editor or eclipse editor? I need to create a very simple process to review a pdf by a human task, I will need a way to attach the file to the process without writing any code.

Can our of box jBPM 5.0 do this?

Appreciate any help.

• 1. How to attach a pdf file to a human task
          salaboy21

jBPM5 is a generic framework to build business processes. What you are asking is a customization. We can provide a generic work item or a human task to a related document, that's totally understandable, but it's not there right now. If you code it the whole community can re-use it, it's a just write one use it forever situation.

If you want assistance writing that, let us know.

Greetings

No pain no gain my friend!

• 2. How to attach a pdf file to a human task
            new-comer

Hi Mauricio,

I am a little confused, about the attachement, what the data object does? isn't it for attach data to a task or acivity? Right now, I am in the middle of release have no time to work on the workflow part, maybe later.

So as what you said above, the out of box process would not be able to do a simple doucmet approval process. That is kind of the basic for a workflow. I am surprised if the workflow engine cannot handle this basic requirement.

Thanks for your response .

• 3. How to attach a pdf file to a human task
              salaboy21

The engine itself is totally decoupled from the information that you want to handle inside your process. For you a simple document approval, for other engineers how to manage nuclear reactors, so everything can be plugged to the engine, but it's up to the developer who is implementing the solution to inject and manage the information that will be handled by the process. The engine obviously support that kind of attachments, the problem are the generic tooling around the engine, that because they are generic don't include the kind of attachment that you need. It should be very simple to do what you need just creating a form that allows you to upload a pdf file and inside the process you can store the referece to where the file is located in your repository/hard drive.

Greetings.

• 4. How to attach a pdf file to a human task
                new-comer

HI Mauricio,

Let's assume that I have uploaded the document to some where of my server, and I have the path to it, how do I pass the path to the process? I don't see that I can do it in the web editor, in eclipse based editor, I did not make it work either, can you give some detailed instruction on how to do that?

Appreciate your help.

• 5. How to attach a pdf file to a human task
                  salaboy21

If you have the path, that can be handled as a simple string. So, you can define a process variable that it's a simple string and the user can use that.

if you are already defining process variables you can do it exaclty in the same way.

Greetings.