0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 6:32 AM by tejaspajai

Jconsole with jboss-portal-2.6.5.SP1

tejaspajai

Hi,

We are using jboss-portal-2.6.5.SP1

We wanted to use jconsole for remote monitoring our jboss instance.

I added following properties for enabling remote monitoring:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=3000"

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true"

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=$JBOSS_HOME/bin/jmxremote.password"

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=$JBOSS_HOME/bin/jmxremote.access"

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"

The problem was, after adding these properties I started getting following exception during server startup:

WARN: 2011-03-08 03:45:13,248[main::org.jboss.wsf.common.management.AbstractServerConfig]: [user:] [context:] Unable to calculate 'WebServicePort', using default '8080'

ERROR: 2011-03-08 03:45:13,352[main::org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer]: [user:] [context:] Could not start deployment: file:/data/dashboard/jboss-portal-2.6.5.SP1/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar/portal-wsrp.sar/portal-wsrp.war/

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.WSDLFilePublisher.getPublishLocation(WSDLFilePublisher.java:303)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.WSDLFilePublisher.publishWsdlFiles(WSDLFilePublisher.java:103)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.PublishContractDeploymentAspect.create(PublishContractDeploymentAspect.java:52)

Followed by:

--- Incompletely deployed packages ---

org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentInfo@7b7857da { url=file:/data/dashboard/jboss-portal-2.6.5.SP1/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar/portal-wsrp.sar/portal-wsrp.war/ }

deployer: MBeanProxyExt[jboss.web:service=WebServer]

After searching online, I added following two properties to the startup script:

# Tell JBossAS to use the platform MBean server

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djboss.platform.mbeanserver"

# Make the platform MBean server able to work with JBossAS MBeans

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djavax.management.builder.initial=org.jboss.system.server.jmx.MBeanServerBuilderImpl"

Now the server started up properly without any errors. My question is, what do these properties exactly do? Will there be any side effects of adding these properties?

There is another problem due to adding these properties. The other tabs in jconsole like Overview, Memory, Threads, Classes and VM Summary are disabled. Only the MBeans tab is enabled. Any solution?