1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 1:11 PM by rob.stryker Go to original post
      • 15. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
        atijms

It's beta 2. Do you mean to open the issue for the files that disappear, or for the libs that are wrongly being listed as deployable 'things'?

One other tidbit of information, when I hover the mouse over the wrongly listed libraries, one of them says J2EE Application Client Module and one of them says J2EE EJB Module.

• 16. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
          maxandersen

those are two different issues yes.

• 17. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
            jan29

I've also noticed the issue of seemingly random libraries being listed as deployable modules in the servers view. After I did some investigating, I noticed that all of the libraries listed as deployable module contained a Main-Class entry in their manifest file.

I was able to reproduce this by creating an almost empty jar file containing a single class with an empty static main method and an manifest file with the Main-Class attribute set and added this to the EarContent/lib directory of my project. After performing a full publish, this jar was also listed as deployed module in the servers view. Both jbosscache-core.jar and jgroups.jar have a Main-Class entry in their manifest file, so I'm assuming that this is the case for the other jar files you mentioned as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have this problem with JBoss Tools 3.2.0 CR1.

• 18. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
              atijms

Jan Beernink wrote:

I've also noticed the issue of seemingly random libraries being listed as deployable modules in the servers view. After I did some investigating, I noticed that all of the libraries listed as deployable module contained a Main-Class entry in their manifest file.

Great find! This seems indeed to be the case. Almost all of the libraries I mentioned earlier indeed have this main class listed!

More precisely, the ones I mentioned that have "J2EE Application Client Module" when I hover with the mouse over them are the ones who have this Main-Class entry.

The one that said "J2EE EJB Module" doesn't have this Main-Class, but it does have classes with EJB annotations. However, since this particular jar is in the EAR/lib directory, it doesn't seem JBoss tools has to do anything special with it regarding deployment.

After I upgraded to JBoss tools 3.2 CR1 I now get the following in my log after I do a clean/full deploy:

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:39.610
              !MESSAGE Module my_main published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:39.614
              !MESSAGE Module jbosscache-core.jar published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:39.618
              !MESSAGE Module jgroups.jar published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:39.627
              !MESSAGE Module my_ejb_client.jar published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:39.670
              !MESSAGE Module some_main_ejb published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:40.238
              !MESSAGE Module my_main_web published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:40.249
              !MESSAGE Module jxl.jar published without error.

!ENTRY org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core 0 33685505 2011-02-16 13:15:40.265
              !MESSAGE Module saxon9.jar published without error.

In this case, the actual deployment that is copied to JBoss AS is simply:

my_main
                  my_main_ejb
                  my_main_web
                  lib
                     jbosscache-core.jar
                     jgroups.jar
                     some_ejb_client.jar
                     commons-codec.jar
                     ... [bunch of other jars]
                     joda-time.jar

As can be seen, the jars that are somehow treated "differently' by the deployer all simply end up in my_main/lib. It's highly confusing that the deployer as well as the GUI treats them differently.

Since CR1 is does say "published without error" now. Unfortunately, it still hapens that when I save a single file, the deployer suddenly pulishes 1000+ other files, and eventually this gives me a deployment with lots of deleted (missing) files as I have been seeing since the first beta versions of JBoss tools 3.2.

I've also now confirmed seeing the problem on a completely different machine, but same project (different OS too: Unbuntu vs OS X), so this would rule out a local installation problem.

• 19. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
                maxandersen

1000+ other files ?! what files is that ?

About the "published without error" - please open jira on that one please!

• 20. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
                  atijms

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

1000+ other files ?! what files is that ?

Just the files that make up my project. .java files, .xhtml files, .jsp, .xml, .js etc.

It's the same problem I reported before. I change a single file, like adding a character in an .xhtml file. Then the Server Log suddenly shows a message saying "1123 files modified in module my_main_web". When I inspect my deployment then most files are gone. This only seems to happen when JBoss AS is running.

• 21. Re: JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
                    atijms

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

About the "published without error" - please open jira on that one please!

I created the jira here: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-8437

• 22. JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
                      henk53

arjan tijms wrote:

It's the same problem I reported before. I change a single file, like adding a character in an .xhtml file. Then the Server Log suddenly shows a message saying "1123 files modified in module my_main_web". When I inspect my deployment then most files are gone. This only seems to happen when JBoss AS is running.

I occasionally have the same problem. Max, or anyone else from the JBoss tools team, since this is personally driving me insane when it happens I would like to see if I can help here. Maybe if I run my project in an Eclipse that's being debugged via another Eclipse I can set a break point and inspect what's going on when this happens.

Any idea where I could set this break point? I guess a conditional breakpoint on the situation where X > 1000 if "X files modified..." is logged would be a start. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I also noticed you released 3.2 final. Congrats on that Have there be any fixes there that are possible related to this? I'll upgrade soon, but since the problem only happens occasionally it's always hard to say if a new version has fixed the problem or not.

• 23. JBoss tools 3.2B1 sometimes doesn't deploy classes in web module
                        rob.stryker

A good place to debug would be org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core.server.internal.DeployableServerBehavior  in the method:

protected void publishModule(int kind, int deltaKind, IModule[] module, IProgressMonitor monitor) throws CoreException {

It's possible this is an error upstream, but I really have no idea as I have not replicated it. But it seems strange for me. Even on an incremental publish, if 1000+ files were modified, it would be copying htose 1000 files.

1 2 Previous Next