4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 10:20 AM by vatoslokos83

login taking a lot of time - Portal DB

vatoslokos83

Hi,

We are using JBoss Portal version 2.6.5SP1 in our comopany. We didn't change the configuration of JBoss Portal that come with a default option of EHCache for the portal DB. I also checked the configuration of the hibernate and it seems correct which mean that the first\second levels are true and everything there seems fine.

The issue is that we have some gaps in our log files and we found out that the times spent on the Jboss Portal DB. The issue is that in every login we spend at least 300ms for it and also there are some places during the login that we spend the same amount of time on them (another 2-3 times).

When I checked the Hibernate logs I found out those line (this is from the first login, and those are just samples from 2000 lines):

[org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher] about to open PreparedStatement (open PreparedStatements: 0, globally: 0)

[org.hibernate.SQL] select displaynam0_.INSTANCE_PK as INSTANCE1_0_, displaynam0_.TEXT as TEXT0_, displaynam0_.LOCALE as LOCALE0_ from JBP_PORTAL_OBJECT_DNAMES displaynam0_ where displaynam0_.INSTANCE_PK=?

[org.hibernate.cache.EhCache]: key: org.jboss.portal.core.impl.model.portal.PortalImpl.windowStates#119 \\this line showen many times with diff keys

[org.hibernate.loader.Loader]: [user:] [context:] result row: EntityKey[org.jboss.portal.core.impl.model.portal.PortalObjectImpl#95] \\this line showen many times with diff rows

and finally I see those 2 lines at the end:

[org.hibernate.engine.StatefulPersistenceContext]: initializing non-lazy collections

[org.hibernate.loader.Loader]:  done loading collection

I understand that at those times we are loading things from the DB but: a. Why this is happenned every time instead of using EHCache. b. how I can avoid it or minimize the times that spend.

* I uploaded the full log file in case that you want to see everything

Thanks for any response!

• 1. login taking a lot of time - Portal DB
          prabhat.jha

JBoss Portal community project is not currently in active development. The full force is on GateIn Portal (http://www.jboss.org/gatein/) so that's something to keep in mind when you start your work.

If you need to use JBP for whatever reason, you should at least use 2.7.2 which has several fixes found in 2.6.* versions. The supported version of JBP is Enterprise Portal Platform (EPP 4.3) and I believe lots of these perf problems are either solved or support folks will give you tips on how to do that.

• 2. login taking a lot of time - Portal DB
            vatoslokos83

First of all thanks for you r quick response.

I saw the GateIn site and I went there. When I click on Developer Forums at this page - http://www.jboss.org/jbossportal I achieved the same forum where I wrote this discussion (question).

I understand the first part of upgrade the version to 2.7.2 and I will try it right now but I didn't understand the EPP part, this is something else that I should do or this is part of the upgrade? which support folks can help me?

Thanks again!

• 3. login taking a lot of time - Portal DB
              prabhat.jha

You can see details of EPP at  http://www.jboss.com/products/platforms/portals/.  In short:

JBP is a community project and, as such is not supported with an SLA. Any questions or problems can be raised through user form (this forum you are using) and where the community will provide their best efforts to assist.  This project is included in the JBoss Enterprise Portal Platform for which a support subscription is available.

• 4. login taking a lot of time - Portal DB
                vatoslokos83

Hi,

First of all I found out that it isn't so wasy to upload to version to the new one (2.6.5SP1 --> 2.7.2) and there are a lot of changes. I had a lot of problems and some of them I still didn't fix and don't have any idea how to.

At the current situation I found out that even with the new version we still have the same amount of delay at the beginning and between each protlet download so at the current situation I don't know how much is going to be helpful to upgrade it to 2.7.2. There is something that I need to change when I move to 2.7.2 in order to make it faster? Should I do the recommendation at JBP site to upgrade the JBP even at the new version of JBoss Portal?

Thanks again!