1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 10:20 AM by bbarin

Cannot intercept a method

bbarin

Hi

I've developed a simple aspect to measure the performance of my application, but althogh the deployment of the aspect in JBoss looks correct, the method that's aimed is not intercepted. I used the following approach:

- I have a performance.jar which contains the following aspect:

package com.agfa.ogpc.performance.aspects;

import com.agfa.ogpc.performance.dao.NeoDatisMessageProcessingDAO;
      import com.agfa.ogpc.performance.dao.PerformanceDAO;
      import org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation;

import com.agfa.ogpc.performance.model.TimeElapsed;

public class MessageProcessingAspect {

public Object intercept(final MethodInvocation invocation) throws Throwable {
              long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
              try {
                  return invocation.invokeNext();
              } finally {
                  long endTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
                              store(new TimeElapsed(startTime,endTime));
              }
          }

private void store(final TimeElapsed timeElapsed) {
                  PerformanceDAO<TimeElapsed> dao = new NeoDatisMessageProcessingDAO();
                  dao.persist(timeElapsed);
              }
      }

- I also have several .ears which are part of my application

- I deployed a file named performance-aop.xml in the deploy folder, that looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <aop>
      <aspect class="com.agfa.ogpc.performance.aspects.MessageProcessingAspect"/>
      <bind pointcut="execution(* com.agfa.hap.bpe.components.db.BasicStatelessDBComponent->*(..))">
          <around aspect="com.agfa.ogpc.performance.aspects.MessageProcessingAspect" name="intercept" />
      </bind>    
      </aop>

The application is deployed correctly and the -aop.xml is wellformed, but the application is not intercepted and I'm sure the method is being called (I debugged the code).

Then I have changed the syntax to intercept any method:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <aop>
      <aspect class="com.agfa.ogpc.performance.aspects.MessageProcessingAspect"/>
      <bind pointcut="execution(* *->*(..))">
          <around aspect="com.agfa.ogpc.performance.aspects.MessageProcessingAspect" name="intercept" />
      </bind>    
      </aop>

But even after this change the aspect is not being called. I also tried to change the performance.jar to performance.aop and include a jboss-aop.xml within the META-INF folder, but without any success.

So, to summarize: I want to do some measures in an existing application running on JBoss 4.2.2. I couldn't find any example on that.

I suppose I have to enable the load time weaving mode, but turning on that option crashes the JBoss.

Any idea would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruno

• 1. Cannot intercept a method
          bbarin

Hi,

After some digging around the information spread over the web, I have found the solution:

• Enable load time weaving in the file JBOSS_HOME\server\production\deploy\jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer\META-INF\jboss-service.xml
          • Copy JBOSS_HOME\server\production\deploy\jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer\pluggable-instrumentor.jar to JBOSS_HOME\lib\endorsed folder
          • Enable the agent in run.bat adding the following line:

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -javaagent:%JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS%\pluggable-instrumentor.jar

Be sure you have:

- Your aspects deployed in the "deploy" folder either a .jar or .aop file

- In case of .jar: You must have a <filename>-aop.xml in the "deploy" folder (preferred, more flexible)

- In case of .aop: Only be sure there is META-INF/jboss-aop.xml containing the aspect definition in your package

Cheers,

Bruno