10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2011 2:07 PM by henk53

mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet

hmig

Hello everyone, i'm trying to have a go with JBoss here at work with the following setup:

- Dev machine: Mac OS X 10.6.6

- JBoss AS: 6.0.0 Final

- PHP Servlet

Unfortunately i'm getting some errors,I checked the forums and found information regarding the topic.

The info though isn't exactly my setup so i tried to adapt it but i'm not having any success in one of the steps which is being able to implement the php servlet into the build

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no php5servlet in java.library.path, no libphp5servlet in java.library.path(/Users/epoch/jboss-6.0.0.Final/bin/native:)

Couldn't find the mac os version of libphp5servlet and php5servlet versions for download (maybe it's because of this) but I did found native connectors for mac os x and applied them also I tried using the native servlet extensions from linux but alas no success.

so my main question is...

1 - is it possible to have the php servlet integrated into JBoss AS 6 ?

2 - is it possible to get the servlet extensions (.so) for mac ?

3 - if 2 isn't possible can we build from source ?

Best Regards,

H.

• 1. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
          mladen.turk

Never tried to build that for Mac. There wasn't a decent PHP port for Mac up till recent.

Beside that, php5servlet is not very well maintained.

• 2. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
            peterj

Why not try using Quercus? http://quercus.caucho.com/

Ever since discovering Quercus I have given up on php5servlet.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
              hmig

thanks both for the answers, Peter quercus seems nice i didn't knew about it thanks for the insight,but shouldn't php5servlet be more "stable" since it's jboss's own implementation ?

• 4. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                peterj

I run Quercus just fine on JBoss AS - is is just a web app written in Java, after all. And all it needs is the "web" configration, you don't even need everything that appears in the "default" configuration.

• 5. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                  hmig

Going to try it then thanks for the help

• 6. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                    mladen.turk

If you need that for production, IMHO the proper solution would be to use the real php engine with some native web server like Apache Httpd. As an alternative if the number of requests is small you can try either CGI or better FastCGI. Any other solution would either give you crippled PHP engine or chance that PHP kills your JVM (which can happen with some broken PHP module and php5servlet)

Although Quercus might be a nice solution from Java developer POV, I'm affraid that serurity impacts on their PHP engine are something you should take into consideration. Official PHP engine is better tested and maintained just by the number of installations which when comparing with Quercus would be what ... 1:10000000 ?

• 7. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                      peterj

@Mladen, in general I agree with you. I much prefer running PHP via Apache HTTP. And considering that many people front JBoss AS with HTTPD, it just makes more sense to have HTTPD handle the PHP. In production I prefer Zend Server (the commercial version if I require support).

Although Quercus might be a nice solution from Java developer POV, I'm affraid that serurity impacts on their PHP engine are something you should take into consideration.

I would be very interested in any concrete or published data that you have to support this statement.

• 8. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                        mladen.turk

I didn't mean that there is something wrong with Quercus, just that you cannot depend any more on the security issues handled by PHP comunity. Any CVE which has been reported and fixed in PHP either doesn't exist with Quercus, or behaves differently, or was or wasn't fixed yet, or any other combination. It basically means that you have completely different language which happens to have PHP syntax, so it's up to you and Quercus to handle the security issues.

So unless there is really a need to make things complicated, I'd go with a simple solution.

• 9. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                          peterj

Thank you for the clarification. I was mostly interested in whether you knew of any specific security vulnerabilities because I would then look into having them fixed. (We provide PHP in an environment where neither Zend Server nor HTTPD are viable options, but there is a Java stack thus our use of Quercus in that environment.)

• 10. mac os x + JBoss AS6 + php servlet
                            henk53

Any CVE which has been reported and fixed in PHP either doesn't exist with Quercus, or behaves differently, or was or wasn't fixed yet, or any other combination.

This might be an advantage. Exploits might not expect such an environment and fail to do any damage.