14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 7:17 PM by dlmiles

64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?

sck

Hi All,

Has anyone got a resolution to the xulrunner (JBoss tools) problem for 64 bit windows?  I found the following how to:

"Q: How do I build the 64-bit version of SWT GTK?
          A: Follow these steps to extract the 64-bit SWT GTK source code from CVS and produce your own build:

1. Start Eclipse and retrieve the org.eclipse.swt, org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64 and org.eclipse.swt.tools projects from dev.eclipse.org (see How to use SWT from CVS, use .classpath_gtk as the .classpath file in the org.eclipse.swt project). 
        2. Convert SWT's Java and C code from its 32-bit form to 64-bit:  * To convert the Java code in-place, go to the build.xml ant script in  the org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64 project and run its  "replace.32.to.64" target.  Once this target has completed you must refresh (F5) the org.eclipse.swt project in order to pick up the changes.  * To convert and build the C code, run the "buildNatives" target in the  same build.xml file.  Refresh (F5) the org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64  project when this target has completed, to pick up the new libraries.
        3. You're done! The org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64 project will now  contain the 64-bit native libraries, and if you're interested, the  64-bit source code will now be available in the  org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64/src folder." 

It sounds easy, but I've had the following problems:

1. Can't get to the CVS repository from eclipse.  (I've tried the dev.eclipse.org site with /cvsroot/eclipse anonymous and a set of newer parameters listed on the eclipse website.)  This may be a firewall problem but I'm not sure. 
      2. Attempted to use the SWT .zip file downloaded from eclipse and unzipped as the basis for a project to follow above steps after creating project, but can't seem to get that to do what it's suppose to either.  I have fooled around with the build.xml, tweaking and running the targets individually, but no success yet and can't help wondering if it's really supposed to be this complicated, or if I'm missing something that I'm just not seeing.  Also, when I extracted the inner src.zip file (to the same level as the zip file itself for lack of any instructions), there were numerous "ActionErrors cannot be resolved to a type" messages after I refreshed the project. 

Has anyone actually created a 64 bit xulrunner that can be used by the JBoss tool plugins?  If so can you point me to the instructions and/or an actual working example or steps that will really work?

• 1. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
          mareshkau

Hi, Steve.

Unfortunetly there isn't exist any build of XR for windows x64. Try to use x32 java, eclipse and XR for XR for x86 platform.

• 2. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
            henk53

FYI, OS X has the same problem with the 64 bits version of Eclipse. Installing the Jboss tools visual editor (which for some reason appears under the name "richfaces"(?) on the update site) fails because of the dreaded XULRunner dependency. Installing the 32 bits version of Eclipse solves the problem.

Would it be possible to make the XR dependency optional?

p.s.

On 64 bits Ubuntu 10.04 it just works.

• 3. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
              mareshkau

XR used for preview in Visual Page Editor. So if we make it optional, preview will be not available.

• 4. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                maxandersen

Yes, we should make it optional: https://jira.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-7058

It is better you can install and have 95% of the functionallity working than not being able to install at all.

Besides with Apple not providing a 32bit JVM anymore Leopard(10.5) users won't be able to run it anymore either (see linked issues for JBIDE-7058)

• 5. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                  henk53

Max Andersen wrote:

It is better you can install and have 95% of the functionallity working than not being able to install at all.

Indeed, thanks again for the effort.

I'm sure there are people who use the preview and visual stuff a lot, but I'm really more of a text guy myself and currently use the editor for it's good .xhtml support and content assist etc. There may be more people like me

• 6. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                    henk53

Max Andersen wrote:

Just wanted to mention that in JBoss Tools 3.2 beta 2 xulrunner still seems to be required:

I tried to install JBoss Tools RichFaces     3.2.0.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2 on Mac OS X 10.6/Eclipse Helios 64 bits and it gave me the following:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
                      Software being installed: JBoss Tools RichFaces 3.2.0.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2 (org.jboss.tools.richfaces.feature.feature.group 3.2.0.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2)
                      Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: XULRunner 1.9.12.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2 (org.jboss.tools.xulrunner.feature.feature.group 1.9.12.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2) requires 'org.mozilla.xulrunner.cocoa.macosx [1.9.1.2a]' but it could not be found
                      Cannot satisfy dependency:
                        From: JBoss Tools RichFaces 3.2.0.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2 (org.jboss.tools.richfaces.feature.feature.group 3.2.0.v20101206-2100-H28-Beta2)
                        To: org.jboss.tools.xulrunner.feature.feature.group 0.0.0

• 7. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                      maxandersen

Henk, just to let you know that our QE found https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-8029 when verifying what you saw.

So it works for Windows but not for Mac.

• 8. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                        henk53

I see. Hmmm, but I don't exactly understand the reasoning:

Pretty sure there's nothing we can do about this one since there's no 64-bit OSX XulRunner 1.9.1.2.

But that can't be the reason of course The issue even mentions this in the description. The entire point is that the editor works despite there not being a 64-bit XulRunner, so that it doesn't work because there is no 64-bit XulRunner is a bit of a recursive problem.

If I read the issue correctly, those x86 platform filters might help?

Also, how is the situation with the 64-bit XulRunner anyway? Do you know anything about this?

If I read the various bugzilla entries at eclipse and mozilla it seems that there is a 64 bit version (entries from March 2010 say the work for that is 'done'), while simultaneously it seems there still isn't one and there might never be one(?).

When more and more computers become 64 bits, wouldn't this be a reason to move away from XulRunner entirely? Or does this "there never will be one" only applies to the 1.9.x series?

• 9. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                          maxandersen

Nick wasn't seeing the forest for trees when he wrote that comment - Denis did an attempt on a proper fix - if you have time try use the nightly update site and let us know if it works (http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/trunk/)

About Xulrunner then the problem is that there is an actual XulRunner 64 bit binary but not a 64 bit SWT/XulRunner binding library.

And yes, this does not paint a good picture for the future usage of xulrunner.

• 10. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                            mareshkau

If say about future usage of XR, possibly it will be good to move on webkit, which eclipse have support too.

• 11. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                              henk53

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

if you have time try use the nightly update site and let us know if it works (http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/trunk/)

I missed this, but I just tried the release candidate and it seems to work perfectly! I installed "JBoss Tools RichFaces" on my 64 bit OS X 10.6 and it installed without problems. I can now open my xhtml pages with "JBoss Tools HTML Editor". As expected, this shows a single textual editor without the Visual/Source, Source and Preview tabs.

Absolutely wonderful!

(I did found an amount of small problems with the editor, but I'll create a new discussion for that)

• 12. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                                henk53

Maxim Areshkau wrote:

If say about future usage of XR, possibly it will be good to move on webkit, which eclipse have support too.

Possible, but this one too has some problems:

The runtime requirements for using WebKit-based Browsers are listed below. Note that failure to meet these runtime requirements will cause the Browser instantiation to fail.

• Windows:
                                  • 32-bit SWT
                                  • Safari must be installed
                                  • For OSs older than XP+SP1, the path to the Apple Application Support installation must be prepended to Windows' "Path" environment variable before running eclipse. This installation will be in a location like "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support".
                                • Linux: WebKitGTK 1.2.0 or newer must be in the library load path. Examples of Linux distros that meet this requirement by default include Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Ubuntu 10.04.
                                • OS X: No additional runtime requirements, the default renderer is WebKit-based.

See: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusewebkit

So even though I would personally prefer this as an OS X user, it seems that the 32-bit SWT requirement for Windows is a killer letdown here.

• 13. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                                  mareshkau

Webkit hasn't java dom binding, so for now it's not suits for VPE.

• 14. Re: 64 bit xulrunner - has anyone got one, or detailed steps to build one?
                                    dlmiles

Would the QtWebkit API be suitable for use ?  http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qtwebkit.html   Is the QWebElement class and API what you need and mean ?

Are you looking to manipulate the HTML element markup via DOM ?

Are you looking to manipulate the browser context from JavaScript execution from inside the page ?

Is it straightforward enough in Eclipse to start a worker/helper process which can share windows handles to provide a seamless IDE (a bit like how Chrome uses processes per tab and Firefox now puts Flash in a worker process) ?

I believe the Qt suite is able to run across all the desired platforms, Linux, Windows and MaxOSX all in 32bit and 64bit forms.  Hopefully I'll have some Maven releases out to allow easier consumption and some Eclipse plugins to follow to build work on top of.