5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2010 2:17 AM by wdfink

all versus production instance in JBoss-AS5

willemnoorduin

The JBoss-AS5 version that I did download from Redhat contains the two instances all and production. A quick google learns me that production is a

performance tuned / leaner version of all. Can you give me a (link to a ) list of actual differences (i.e. service that are undeployed, not configured anymore)

• 1. Re: all versus production instance in JBoss-AS5
          wdfink

Logging configuration is different

- Admin and JMX are secured (some versions also in all, default ...)

- Connection and Statement tracking is off (because of sync contention)

- A special run.conf located in server/production/conf

- Archives are different (I've suppose less debug information, but it looks like not)

Available Services looks like exact same.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: all versus production instance in JBoss-AS5
            peterj

Also, it appears that you have downloaded EAP 5, not AS 5. EAP 5 contains the 'production' configuration while AS 5 does not. EAP 5 is the version you get with a support contract from Red Hat.

• 3. Re: all versus production instance in JBoss-AS5
              augustsimonelli

just a small one, but the EAP "production" instance uses the ASYNC appender for logging and the "all" instance uses the standard FILE appender. There's other differences in jboss-log4j.xml that are interesting (i found the examples in those files a great way to learn about log4j).

• 4. Re: all versus production instance in JBoss-AS5
                augustsimonelli

Also ... here's a nifty little use of cmp that i cooked up to see differences when we do upgrades. So, running from the top of the PRODUCTION profile:

find . -type f -name \*.xml | xargs -i cmp {} ../all/{}

Which in the case of EAP yields ...

cmp: ../all/./data/farm-repository-contents.xml: No such file or directory
                cmp: ../all/./deploy/mod-cluster.sar/META-INF/mod-cluster-jboss-beans.xml: No such file or directory
                ./deploy/properties-service.xml ../all/./deploy/properties-service.xml differ: byte 1564, line 52
                ./deploy/uuid-key-generator.sar/META-INF/jboss-service.xml ../all/./deploy/uuid-key-generator.sar/META-INF/jboss-service.xml differ: byte 1851, line 42
                ./deploy/hdscanner-jboss-beans.xml ../all/./deploy/hdscanner-jboss-beans.xml differ: byte 114, line 6
                ./deploy/jbossweb.sar/server.xml ../all/./deploy/jbossweb.sar/server.xml differ: byte 402, line 9
                ./deploy/jbossweb.sar/META-INF/jboss-beans.xml ../all/./deploy/jbossweb.sar/META-INF/jboss-beans.xml differ: byte 415, line 9
                ./deploy/jca-jboss-beans.xml ../all/./deploy/jca-jboss-beans.xml differ: byte 2186, line 48
                ./deployers/ear-deployer-jboss-beans.xml ../all/./deployers/ear-deployer-jboss-beans.xml differ: byte 2615, line 57

• 5. Re: all versus production instance in JBoss-AS5
                  wdfink

The ASYNC appender is a bit faster than the FILE one, also less locking (sync) contention to the application.

But the drawback is that in case of massive logging and failures you might lost ptintouts.