5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 11:18 AM by thorsten_heller

JBoss Tools 3.2.0 - ESB 4.9 - Helios - questions / problems

thorsten_heller

I'm testing jBoss Tools 3.2.0 on Eclipse Helios (Mac OS X Snow Leopard) with jBossESB 4.9.

i got 2 questions / problems:

1. using jBossTools with jBossESB-server-4.9:

I created a server runtime envirnment pointing to my jBossESB-server-4.9 directory.

I created in the jboss tools tab a ESB runtime pointing to my jBossESB-server-4.9 directory, too.

I create a new ESB project with target runtime my previously genereted jbossesb-server-4.9 and ESB version 4.9.

I install ESB facet with Server supplied ESB runtime and ESB config version 1.3.

I create a new server in my server window selecting my esb server runtime. when I try to add my newly generated project as a resource to my new server environment, it tells me "The server does not support version 4.9 of the JBoss ESB Module specification." menaing I'm not able to deploy anything on my server.

shortly: my project is configured for ESB 4.9, all libraries are from my esb 4.9 directory. my server is pointing the my esb 4.9 server directory. but during the add / remove ressoures the server won't accept my project.

Any hints ? what did i miss?

2. using jBossTools with jBossESB 4.9 deployed on a jBossAS 5.1

I installed jBoss AS 5.1 and jBossESB 4.9 as described in the documentation. I tested my installation with the examples and it works.

Now I'm doing the same steps as descrive above, but of course everything pointing to my jBoss AS directory where I installed the ESB libraries.

In this case my new project is accepted as a deployable ressource on the server. in the server window my project appears under my server with status synchronized. I do some changes. add new services. new channels. services. i'm synchronizing and publishing my project, but it never appears on the server.

Any hints ? did I again miss something?

thanks

• 1. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2.0 - ESB 4.9 - Helios - questions / problems
          thorsten_heller

actual .... one additional question: is there any working tutorial for the jBossTools - jBossESB describing how to set up and develop a first ESB project?

• 2. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2.0 - ESB 4.9 - Helios - questions / problems
            rob.stryker

For item 1, I'm not sure what type of server you're using. You mention in step 2 that you are using a jboss 5.1 server type and it works. What type were you using in step 1? The only server types which supported esb 4.9 are JBoss AS 5.1, 6.0, and EAP 5.x. Other server types do not support the esb 4.9 module.

If you were using the deploy-only server type, that one also did not support esb 4.9, but, I've opened a jira and committed a fix to that.  (https://jira.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-7743)

For item 2, what do you mean the publishes aren't showing up on the server? Are the class files actually being changed in the deploy directory? Has the timestamp changed? If the timestamp has changed, Typically runtimes do not accept changed class files without restarting the module. You can do this by right-clicking the module in the server's view and selecting FULL PUBLISH. Only seam applications accept hot-code replacements without a module restart, and web projects do too for changes to jsp files or static html / xml files.

• 3. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2.0 - ESB 4.9 - Helios - questions / problems
              thorsten_heller

hei rob,

for item 1, i was describing a scenario where i am using the jbossesb-server-4.9 meaning the "bundled" deployment package for the actual esb server distribution.

from jboss.org: "The jbossesb-server binary distribution is a pre-configured profile based on the JBoss Microkernel architecture. The ESB Server comes pre-installed with JBoss Messaging, JBoss Webservices, all of the base ESB capabilities and is the best choice for those who want to get started quickly."

the jbossesb-server-4.9 binary distrubution is built / using a jboss 4.2.3 as of my knowledge.

is that what you refer to as a "deploy only server" ?

for item 2:

what i meant here was, that I'm generating a new ESB project, building it (with jBossTools), adding it as a resource to my server runtime. it's shown in the server view as "synchronized". but the services which are part of the esb file are not available on the server. for me it looks like that the esb channels (message queues) aren't deployed and therefor the services are not available neither.

thanks

• 4. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2.0 - ESB 4.9 - Helios - questions / problems
                rob.stryker

> I create a new server in my server window selecting my esb server runtime.

For Item 1 I am asking how you do this. You right-click the server view, select new -> server, and then in the list of server types which do you choose? There should be 3 folders you might choose from. 'JBoss', 'JBoss Community', and 'JBoss Enterprise Middleware'. Which of these do you choose? When you expand 'JBoss Community' you can see 6 different options: JBoss 3.2, JBoss 4.0, JBoss 4.2, JBoss 5.0, JBoss 5.1, JBoss 6.0, etc. Which of these do you select?

Please provide all the steps you've used. Thanks.

• 5. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2.0 - ESB 4.9 - Helios - questions / problems
                  thorsten_heller

sorry. i try to describe it more clearly:

for item 1:

Yes, I'm right clicking the server view, select new server. I'm chosing from JBoss Community the JBoss 4.2 server type. The jbossesb-server-4.9 distribution is bundled with jBoss AS 4.2.3 as of my understanding.

for item 2:

I'm chosing from JBoss Community the jBoss 5.1 server type. I installed the jbossesb distribution to the JBoss 5.1 server meaning my JBoss 5.1 runtime has the ESB distribution installed. I think the problem actual is, that not all of the required files are generated (i.e. deployment.xml, jbm_queue_service.xml, etc.). aren't these files required in order to deploy ?