6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 7:20 AM by jom

JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?

jom

Hi,

I am pretty new to JBoss Tools and want to evaluate JSF tools using JBoss-Tools 3.2b with Eclipse 3.6.

Unfortunately I cannot create a new JSF project.It seems JSF tools is not correclty installed or I am missing something basic here.

I followed the instructions in http://www.jboss.org/tools/download/installation/update_3_2.html for installation via zip-file. I noticed, that installing JSF-tools was not a option (just JBoss Tools RichFaces) so I checked the "All JBoss Tools" option, the rest of the installation process went just fine.

After restarting Eclipse I tried to create a new JSF project following http://docs.jboss.org/tools/3.1.0.GA/en/jsf_tools_tutorial/html/jsf_application.html (I guess the steps are the same as in JBT 3.1). Yet in the New-Project - wizard I cannot even find the option "JBoss Tools" and neither "JSF Project".

If I check in "About Eclipse -> Installation Details" I see all the JBoss-Tools I saw during installation among the installed software.

Any hints?

Thanks

Joern

• 1. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?
          maxandersen

what shows up in Eclipse Error Log view when you run with eclipse -debug ?

That should reveal any plugin loading problems.

• 2. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?
            jom

Thanks for the hint.

This is my output. Don´t be misled by the java-path jdk6_13. The version should be 1.6.0_20 by now.

I don´t see any obvious errors. May-be you notice more:

Start VM: -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
            -Xms40m
            -Xmx512m
            -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
            -Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
            -os win32
            -ws win32
            -arch x86
            -showsplash C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_3.6.0.v201006080911\splash.bmp
            -launcher C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\eclipse.exe
            -name Eclipse
            --launcher.library C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.0.v20100503\eclipse_1307.dll
            -startup C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
            -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
            -debug
            -vm D:\java\jdk6_13\bin\client\jvm.dll
            -vmargs
            -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
            -Xms40m
            -Xmx512m
            -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
            -Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
            Install location:
                file:/c:/Program Files/Eclipse/Eclipse3.6/
            Configuration file:
                file:/c:/Program Files/Eclipse/Eclipse3.6/configuration/config.ini loaded
            Configuration location:
                file:/C:/Users/jom/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_1024558415/configuration/
            Configuration file:
                file:/C:/Users/jom/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_1024558415/configuration/config.ini loaded
            Shared configuration location:
                file:/c:/Program Files/Eclipse/Eclipse3.6/configuration/
            Framework located:
                file:/c:/Program Files/Eclipse/Eclipse3.6/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.6.0.v20100517.jar
            Framework classpath:
                file:/c:/Program Files/Eclipse/Eclipse3.6/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.6.0.v20100517.jar
            Splash location:
                C:\Program Files\Eclipse\Eclipse3.6\\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_3.6.0.v201006080911\splash.bmp
            Debug options:
                file:/C:/Users/jom/.options not found
            Time to load bundles: 42
            Starting application: 18617
            Application Started: 40117

• 3. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?
              maxandersen

if debug is activated you should have *much* more than this in your log file.

It should list any plugins that have not been able to load etc. and if you installed the plugins via an updatesite (i.e. dont  just unzip the the zip) it gotta show up here if it does not show up in the UI.

btw. you did see this from the installation guide, right:

Download an Update Site Zip, but DO NOT UNZIP IT.

and then we continue showing how to use the Update Manager to install it ?

• 4. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?
                jom

Thanks for the quick answer.

Those are really all messages I see on the debug console window. In the "Error Log" view I don´t get any messages at all. Do I need any special debug settings in the ".options" file?

Yes, I followed the instructions: I did not unzip the file but let eclipse "Install new software" handle the zip.

By the way, I was expecting to see something like "JSF tools" among the JBT options during installation. Or is this contained in another tool?

• 5. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?
                  maxandersen

Richfaces tools is what covers JSF, HTML and other web dev tooling.

If you don't see any other messages in the Error View log then i'm puzzled...looks like nothing were installed...

• 6. Re: JBoss Tools 3.2b not correctly installed?
                    jom

I have managed to solve the problem. This was somehow related to my eclipse installation.

I had originally moved the eclipse distribution to my c:\Program Files folder (using Windows Vista).

Now I have extracted the helios distribution into a none-"c:\Program Files" folder. And everything works just fine. This is odd.

Thanks for the help, though