3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 12:21 AM by aguizar

jBPM + Eclipse = 1000+ Errors

mmwebster

Not getting a response, so perhaps the question was too vague. I've just installed jBPM 4.4 with Eclipse Helios on a CentOS 5.5 virtual machine. For the most part, I followed the instructions in the User Guide - veering off-course only when the instructions didn't exactly match my system, e.g. the screenshots for Windows, etc.

Here's my problem. In the User Guide, Section 2.11.3. "Configuring the jBPM runtime", I'm told to select jPBM from the options listed on the left side of the "Preferences" window. Unfortunately, jBPM isn't listed, so I can't specify the proper runtime location. This results in a number of errors (about 1000) in the GPD, and my installation is therefore incomplete, and broken.

How do I (a) get jBPM to appear correctly if I've followed all other installation steps correctly, and/or (b) is there another way to point to the proper runtime location without too much hacking?

Or perhaps, a better question would be: how do I add the proper runtime location if jBPM doesn't appear correctly so I can get to the GPD?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

• 1. Re: jBPM + Eclipse = 1000+ Errors
          aguizar
          I've just installed jBPM 4.4 with Eclipse Helios on a CentOS 5.5 virtual machine. For the most part, I followed the instructions in the User Guide - veering off-course only when the instructions didn't exactly match my system, e.g. the screenshots for Windows, etc.

The designer bundled with the jBPM 4.4 distribution was not tested with Helios, only with Galileo.

In the User Guide, Section 2.11.3. "Configuring the jBPM runtime", I'm told to select jBPM from the options listed on the left side of the "Preferences" window. Unfortunately, jBPM isn't listed, so I can't specify the proper runtime location. This results in a number of errors (about 1000) in the GPD, and my installation is therefore incomplete, and broken.

The following is a screenshot of the Preferences dialog after installing the jBPM 4 Graphical Editor and Tools feature into a clean eclipse-java-galileo-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz installation in Fedora 13 with java-1.6.0-openjdk. I believe the OS and JVM have little relevance here.

eclipse-preferences.png

Although you do not mention it explicitly, I assume you get the thousand errors after importing the examples. The above runtime location has no effect on that. You have to define the jBPM user library and then add it to the classpath of the examples project manually. To do so:

1. Right click the examples project.
          2. Select Build Path --> Add Libraries
          3. Select the User Library entry and click Next
          4. Check the jBPM Libraries box and push Finish

add-library.png

This should take care of the errors. I will add these instructions to the user guide.

• 2. Re: jBPM + Eclipse = 1000+ Errors
            mmwebster

Alejandro, thank you for responding. I attempted to add the user library "jBPM Library" to my build path, but received an error/notification that the path already exists.

jBPM_LibPathError.jpg

As you can see, the errors are still extensive. Additionally, the reason I added the comment about the runtime location is because my preferences window doesn't include jBPM at all, even though it's installed.

Any other suggestions? Of course I want to get the GPD working!

-- MMWebster

• 3. Re: jBPM + Eclipse = 1000+ Errors
              aguizar

Any other suggestions? Of course I want to get the GPD working!

Please start over from an empty Eclipse installation. I believe your jBPM user library is missing jbpm.jar or perhaps another JAR file. It is hard to know without being able to look at the contents of your user library or at the list of errors.