3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 8:30 AM by bghosh1

Poincut Expression

bghosh1

Hi

I am new to JBoss AOP and at the beginning I am stuck with a poincut expression.

I am behind a logger aspect which should log every methods under "com.mycompany" and it's sub packages.

I come from spring background where "execution(* com.mycompany..*.*(..))" works.

Here I  tried with "execution(com.mycompany.*->*(..))" as suggested in some site..but it never works.

I went through AOP Docs http://docs.jboss.org/jbossaop/docs/2.0.0.GA/docs/aspect-framework/reference/en/html/pointcuts.html

It says ".. following a package-name is used to specify all classes from within a given package ut not within sub-packages"

but it nowhere says what should be done to include sub-packages.

Can anybody point out where I am going wrong.

By the way.. I am running in a standalone application with jboss-aop-single.jar in classpath
      and along with vm args :

-Djava.system.class.loader=org.jboss.aop.standalone.SystemClassLoader
      -Djboss.aop.class.path=D:\Payer-Wrkspc\dc-common\target\classes\com\intuit\payer\dc\common\aspect

-Djava.system.class.loader=org.jboss.aop.standalone.SystemClassLoader

-Djboss.aop.class.path=<--path to my aspect class-->

• 1. Re: Poincut Expression
          kabirkhan

You need to specify the return type for methods. So

"execution(* com.mycompany.*->*(..))"

should work (notice the extra '* ' before 'com.mycompany'

• 2. Re: Poincut Expression
            kabirkhan

BTW you should use the user forums for this, not the design forums. I'm moving this thread there

• 3. Re: Poincut Expression
              bghosh1

Kabir

Thanks..The issue finally got resolved after your answer.. though I tried the same expression earlier but was getting some error.

Once I saw your answer, I looked back at the error and saw I was getting stackoverflow exception. The reason behind is

that since it was a small POC, I kept the logger aspect right under package com.mycompany and hence the log method was getting called recursively.

I was so stupid to do that.

Initially I did not look at the error as I did not have enough confidence on the correctness of that expr.

Sorry for bothering you and placing the discussion in wrong forum.