12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 2:23 PM by maxandersen

JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow

kinghoward

EDIT: I used JBoss tools 3.2.0.v20100720-0040-H162-M1  (got the version wrong below). The Jboss AS VM arguments below are the arguments I used after clicking on Open Launch Configuration from by double clicking on the server.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I installed JBoss tools (Update-3.1.1.v201006011046R-H111-GA) to eclipse (helios), and everything is runs very slow, it takes about 30 minutes to start JBoss AS in eclipse.

I have VMWare workstation installed, and on my host OS, the above combination runs at reasonable speed, but not on a virtual machine (VM). The vm is given 8 cpu processors (i7 2.8ghz), 4 gigs of RAM, and runs on CentOS 5.5 32bit. I tried to change the eclipse.ini file to have the following settings:

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize

1024m

-vmargs

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5

-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m

-Xms256m

-Xmx1024m

But eclipse is still very slow with JBoss tools installed.

and I have these parameters for the JBoss AS java VM arguments:

Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024

But, JBoss AS is very slow to start with all the web services loaded.

I have a seperate eclipse galiano installation with lots of plugins, and that runs great on the vm, but not the eclipse with JBoss tools.

My host machine has 8 core i7 2.8ghz, 12 gigs RAM.

Any ideas about changing any settings so that I can get the combination to work faster in my VM?

• 1. Re: JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
          snjeza

JBoss Tools 3.1.1 isn't compatible with Helios.

If you want to use Helios, you need to install JBos Tools 3.2.0 (http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/trunk/) and webtools 3.2.1 (http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R3.2.1/R-3.2.1-20100730021206/ or http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/repository/helios/) that fixed some performance issues.

• 2. Re: JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
            rob.stryker

Changing the eclipse.ini will not affect in any way how the server starts up inside eclipse. You must instead open the server's launch configuration. You can do this by double-clicking the server, and then selecting open launch configuration.

JBossTools does not use the eclipse.ini file in any way and instead launches the java command directly.

• 3. Re: JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
              kinghoward

As edited in the original message, I got the Jboss tools version typed here wrong, I do actully use 3.2.0.v20100720-0040-H162-M1.

I also have eclipse web tools platform 3.2.1.v201007071800 installed. I installed the "all-in-one" package of eclipse ee helios.

Any other ideas?

• 4. Re: JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                kinghoward

thanks for the quick reply.

In addition to editing the eclipse.ini, I did in fact edit the JBoss AS server's launch configuration, and as in the original post, I have these as the parameters for the VM, which is increated by at least 4 times from the original settings:

-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024

Any other ideas?

• 5. Re: JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                  psycopata

Hi!

I have the same problem. But in my case, I'm running Eclipse 3.5.2 SR2 with JBoss Tools 3.1.1.GA, and running in MacBook Pro Core 2Doua 2,53 Hz + 4G of RAM DDR3 + HD 7.200 rpm.

It's not a server!

And the Eclipse becomes very very slow after JBoss Tools installation.

• 6. Re: JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                    akazakov

Tiago,

Please open Progress View. What do you see there when JBT getting slow?

• 7. JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                      jespersm

I'm also having problems with foreground thread pauses when using JBoss Tools. It would appear that the entire Eclipse hangs when for instance moving the Project Explorer with the cursor keys, passing by the "JBoss 6.0 Runtime" classpath element. There is no discernible Task going on in the Progress View, since the SWT thread is stuck.

I tried it in a debugger, and got this:

Thread [main] (Suspended)   

WinNTFileSystem.getBooleanAttributes(File) line: not available [native method]   

File.exists() line: not available   

ClientAllRuntimeClasspathProvider.addSinglePath(IPath, ArrayList<IPath>) line: 181   

ClientAllRuntimeClasspathProvider.addPaths(IPath, ArrayList<IPath>) line: 167   

ClientAllRuntimeClasspathProvider.get50(IPath, IPath) line: 134   

ClientAllRuntimeClasspathProvider.get60(IPath, IPath) line: 150   

ClientAllRuntimeClasspathProvider.resolveClasspathContainer(IProject, IRuntime) line: 85   

ClientAllRuntimeClasspathProvider(RuntimeClasspathProviderDelegate).resolveClasspathContainerImpl(IProject, IRuntime) line: 133   

RuntimeClasspathProviderWrapper.resolveClasspathContainerImpl(IProject, IRuntime) line: 153   

RuntimeClasspathContainer.getClasspathEntries() line: 77   

JavaProject.resolveClasspath(IClasspathEntry[], IClasspathEntry[], boolean, boolean) line: 2656   

JavaProject.resolveClasspath(IClasspathEntry[], boolean, boolean) line: 2574   

JavaProject.resolveClasspath(IClasspathEntry[]) line: 2562   

JavaProject.findPackageFragmentRoots(IClasspathEntry) line: 1219   

ClassPathContainer.getPackageFragmentRoots() line: 120   

ClassPathContainer.getChildren() line: 125   

PackageExplorerContentProvider.getContainerPackageFragmentRoots(PackageFragmentRootContainer) line: 365   

PackageExplorerContentProvider.getChildren(Object) line: 292   

PackageExplorerContentProvider(StandardJavaElementContentProvider).hasChildren(Object) line: 241   

PackageExplorerPart$PackageExplorerProblemTreeViewer(AbstractTreeViewer).isExpandable(Object) line: 2086   

PackageExplorerPart$PackageExplorerProblemTreeViewer(TreeViewer).isExpandable(Object) line: 588   

PackageExplorerPart$PackageExplorerProblemTreeViewer(ProblemTreeViewer).isExpandable(Object) line: 246   

PackagesFrameSource(TreeViewerFrameSource).getSelectionFrame(int) line: 144   

PackagesFrameSource(TreeViewerFrameSource).getFrame(int, int) line: 99   

GoIntoAction.getSelectionFrame(int) line: 36   

GoIntoAction.update() line: 57   

PackageExplorerActionGroup$2.selectionChanged(SelectionChangedEvent) line: 161   

Viewer$2.run() line: 162   

SafeRunner.run(ISafeRunnable) line: 42   

JFaceUtil$1.run(ISafeRunnable) line: 49   

SafeRunnable.run(ISafeRunnable) line: 175   

PackageExplorerPart$PackageExplorerProblemTreeViewer(Viewer).fireSelectionChanged(SelectionChangedEvent) line: 160   

PackageExplorerPart$PackageExplorerProblemTreeViewer(StructuredViewer).updateSelection(ISelection) line: 2162   

PackageExplorerPart$PackageExplorerProblemTreeViewer(StructuredViewer).handleSelect(SelectionEvent) line: 1190   

StructuredViewer$4.widgetSelected(SelectionEvent) line: 1220   

OpenStrategy.fireSelectionEvent(SelectionEvent) line: 228   

OpenStrategy.access$4(OpenStrategy, SelectionEvent) line: 222   

OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(Event) line: 389   

EventTable.sendEvent(Event) line: 84   

Tree(Widget).sendEvent(Event) line: 1053   

Display.runDeferredEvents() line: 4066   

Display.readAndDispatch() line: 3657   

Workbench.runEventLoop(Window$IExceptionHandler, Display) line: 2640   

Workbench.runUI() line: 2604   

Workbench.access$4(Workbench) line: 2438   

Workbench$7.run() line: 671   

Realm.runWithDefault(Realm, Runnable) line: 332   

Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Display, WorkbenchAdvisor) line: 664   

PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(Display, WorkbenchAdvisor) line: 149   

IDEApplication.start(IApplicationContext) line: 115   

EclipseAppHandle.run(Object) line: 196   

EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(Object) line: 110   

EclipseAppLauncher.start(Object) line: 79   

EclipseStarter.run(Object) line: 369   

EclipseStarter.run(String[], Runnable) line: 179   

NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Method, Object, Object[]) line: not available [native method]   

NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Object, Object[]) line: not available   

DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Object, Object[]) line: not available   

Method.invoke(Object, Object...) line: not available   

Main.invokeFramework(String[], URL[]) line: 619   

Main.basicRun(String[]) line: 574   

Main.run(String[]) line: 1407   

Main.main(String[]) line: 1383   

Looks like some expensive classpath code was unexpectedly called from the UI thread. This is on Helios SR1 with JBoss Tools H28 Beta 2.

Keep up the good work - in general ;-)

• 8. JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                        maxandersen

Hej Jesper,

Yes, your conclusion is right and we actually already got it reported and it is fixed in the nightly builds.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-7934

Until we get CR1 out you can use the nightly build to avoid this problem.

sorry for the problems!

• 9. JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                          jespersm

1000 tak - I did search for the issue but must have overlooked it.

3.2.0 is looking good for EE 6 work -- I'm downloading the nightly right now.

• 10. JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                            jespersm

Nightly build fixed my problem -- slight delay initially to fill the cache, from then on, no pauses.

Typo in "jsf/plugins/org.jboss.tools.jsf.ui/src/org/jboss/tools/jsf/ui/messages.properties" where it said "Enabale" in ENABLE_JSF_CODE_COMPLETION_TEXT

(too small for a JIRA)

• 11. JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                              akazakov

Typo in "jsf/plugins/org.jboss.tools.jsf.ui/src/org/jboss/tools/jsf/ui/messages.properties" where it said "Enabale" in ENABLE_JSF_CODE_COMPLETION_TEXT

Fixed https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-8108

Thanks!

• 12. JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow
                                maxandersen

Nothing is too small for a jira - some things are too big

Takker Jesper!