2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 10:53 AM by welle

*really beginner* questions on jboss configuration

lylex

Hello all:

I'm a Unix/Linux SysAdmin, but no experience at all with JBoss.  Used to Apache and some Tomcat.

Our Solaris system is running jboss-4.2.3.GA    

I want to reduce some of our logging from DEBUG leve and have found the jboss-log4j.xml file.  Are configurations like this managed by directly editing the text file, or should it all be done through a web interface?

Any pointers to a starting point in the documentation for a SysAdmin without a lot of java knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks....Lyle

• 1. Re: *really beginner* questions on jboss configuration
          jaikiran

Lyle,

Welcome to the forums.

Lyle Ryan wrote:

Our Solaris system is running jboss-4.2.3.GA    

I want to reduce some of our logging from DEBUG leve and have found the jboss-log4j.xml file.  Are configurations like this managed by directly editing the text file, or should it all be done through a web interface?

AS-4.x did not have an admin console. AS-5 does have one. However, for changes like this, the usual approach is to edit the file in a text editor. Even the new admin console in AS-5 doesn't have an option to change this file at runtime (and persist those changes on server restart). So yes, editing it in a text editor is fine.

Lyle Ryan wrote:

Any pointers to a starting point in the documentation for a SysAdmin without a lot of java knowledge would be appreciated.

This might be good start https://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossApplicationServerOfficialDocumentationPage. I don't know about JBoss AS-4, but for JBoss AS-5, there's JBoss In Action book http://www.manning.com/jamae/

• 2. Re: *really beginner* questions on jboss configuration
            welle

Hi

The correct way is to edit the file (as already answered).

Here is a quick solution (if you haven't had the time to read the documentation on JBoss AS and/or log4j)

Add the following row to the FILE appender in "jboss-log4j.xml" file:

<param name="Threshold" value="INFO"/>

(Compare with the CONSOLE appender that already has this setup)

PS. You probably also want to set "Append" to true! DS.