5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 3:08 PM by jaikiran

Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect

lancetx

I have been trying to install a JBoss 5.1 instance and get my application to work under it.  The application has been running for several years under 4.0.5 and is a strict EJB2 application with a standalone java app front end connecting with JNDI.   I had hoped to try migrating to EJB3 a bit at a time, there is no time for a full conversion project, and I need the old application to run as is until I can move parts over.

I got the server jar to deploy fine under 5.1 and haven't seen any errors except for:

Deployment "vfsfile:/C:/Java/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/properties-service.xml" 
      is in error due to the following reason(s): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 
      org.jboss.system.server.ServerConfigLocator.locate()Lorg/jboss/system/server/ServerConfig;

Which some of the discussions I've found here seem to indicate isn't a real problem.  It isn't one of my xml files, but one that came with the install.

But when I run the application pointing to the new 5.1 server, it doesn't connect.  I don't see any errors, any messages, just an eventual timeout.  I was wondering if the JNDI providers have to change or if there is something I'm missing.

Not even sure where to go next.

• 1. Re: Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect
          jaikiran

Are you packaging any JBoss specific jar files in your application (like some jar containing org.jboss.system.* classes)? If yes, remove them from the application packaging.

Lance Goforth wrote:

But when I run the application pointing to the new 5.1 server, it doesn't connect.  I don't see any errors, any messages, just an eventual timeout.  

How exactly do you start the server? What command do you use? And how do you try to "connect"? Using a browser or some other means?

• 2. Re: Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect
            lancetx

No, I'm not including any older classes, or jboss classes at all.  I did check that.  I also tried recompiling all the server and client code with the new jbossall-client.jar. 

I'm starting the jboss server with just the run command, but as I said it seems to be running fine - no errors.  My client application is a java application that connects to the application server via JNDI lookup.  It has no web or browser component at all.

• 3. Re: Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect
              cullendw

As mentioned previously, this is definitely a compatibility problem from jboss 4 to 5.1. Have you moved configuration directly from jboss 4 to jboss 5.1? This is just a guess, but maybe that unknown method is being invoked by reflection based on outdated configuration from jboss 4 ...

• 4. Re: Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect
                lancetx

I moved over the connection resource xml, and the application jar.  I tried recompiling with the new jboss jars.  But couldn't complete that because I couldn't find org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrappedConnection class in the new jars.

Got pulled off to other urgent projects so not sure when I can get back to this one.

• 5. Re: Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect
                  jaikiran

Lance Goforth wrote:

But couldn't complete that because I couldn't find org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.WrappedConnection class in the new jars.

This tool might help http://www.jboss.org/tattletale