4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 8:11 AM by swiderski.maciej

JBPM-2792 allow update with hql/sql

rebody

Hi guys,

Here is an interesting issue.  It allow we using update/insert/delete in hql/sql.  I uploaded a patch and related testcase.  Any comments will be appreciated.  Thank you very much.

https://jira.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-2792

• 1. Re: JBPM-2792 allow update with hql/sql
          swiderski.maciej

Hi HuiSheng,

in general it looks good, just have one comment - is it ok to allow update queries on jBPM schema? What would be a use case for this? Shouldn't we protect it and expose api for accessing it?

• 2. Re: JBPM-2792 allow update with hql/sql
            rebody

Hi Maciej,

I think the Hql/Sql activity is intended to used by developers.  People who want to use these activities should be familiar with how to write a hql/sql query.  And they must know the database structures.

So the developer-oriented activities could  expose all of operations that hql/sql could do.  Not only select, but  also update/insert/delete.

In the testcase, I demostrated the hql/sql update operation by update jbpm schema.  But in the production environment, I think commonly people will use it to update their business related schema.  So I think it will be harmless.

In my opinion, if we provide this feature in jBPM 4,  it will be only used by developer,  not end-user.  So I think we could wait for other people's advices.

• 3. Re: JBPM-2792 allow update with hql/sql
              aguizar

Intuitively I agree with Maciej, although nothing prevents one from  invoking  EnvironmentImpl.getFromCurrent(Session.class).createQuery().executeUpdate()  from a custom or java activity, which makes any protection quite easy to defeat. The update attribute in the hsql/sql activities is enough to prevent unintended updates.

• 4. Re: JBPM-2792 allow update with hql/sql
                swiderski.maciej

fair enough, just wanted to check. It seems easier (does not require any knowledge of jBPM internals) to use hql/sql.

Either way it is certainly a nice feature.