11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 2:53 PM by kitanai_oni

Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?

dj_segfault
      I'm an experienced Java guy trying JBoss out and already feeling stupid.  I just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip and am following

http://www.jboss.org/file-access/default/members/jbossas/freezone/docs/Installation_And_Getting_Started_Guide/5/html/About_the_Example_Applications.html

I don't see the todo application they're talking about.  the docs/examples directory just has jca  jms  jmx  netboot  transactions  varia

$ l docs/examples
      drwxr-xr-x 8 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:02 .
      drwxr-xr-x 7 david david 4096 2009-05-22 16:19 ..
      drwxr-xr-x 2 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:03 jca
      drwxr-xr-x 2 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:03 jms
      drwxr-xr-x 5 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:03 jmx
      drwxr-xr-x 2 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:03 netboot
      drwxr-xr-x 2 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:03 transactions
      drwxr-xr-x 3 david david 4096 2009-05-22 11:03 varia

$ find . | grep -i todo
      $

Is the example something I need to install separately, or am I missing something mentally for literally?

Are there other examples with matching docs I can try?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I tried out the IRC channel #jboss first, and not only did nobody answer my question (which is OK), but nobody said ANYTHING for almost an hour.  Is that channel just bots?

• 1. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
          jaikiran
          David, welcome to the forums

dj_segfault wrote:

I'm an experienced Java guy trying JBoss out and already feeling stupid.  I just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip and am following

http://www.jboss.org/file-access/default/members/jbossas/freezone/docs/Installation_And_Getting_Started_Guide/5/html/About_the_Example_Applications.html

I don't see the todo application they're talking about.  the docs/examples directory just has jca  jms  jmx  netboot  transactions  varia

Unfortuantely, there's no such todo app shipped with AS. There used to be one for AS-4.x (AFAIK) but not for AS-5. Which technology are you interested in trying out in the AS? We do have EJB3 tutorials for JBoss AS-5, if you are interested.

dj_segfault wrote:

:

PS: I tried out the IRC channel #jboss first, and not only did nobody answer my question (which is OK), but nobody said ANYTHING for almost an hour.  Is that channel just bots?

No it's not just bots Maybe no one noticed the question or did not wish to answer (that channel like this forum is frequented by volunteers). Anyway, i would recommend that you continue using the IRC/forums and i'm sure you will find some help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
            dj_segfault

Thanks for your reply.

I was really just hoping for a "is this working" HelloWorld that I could look at, regardless of the technologies.

My goal after that is I need to come up to speed quickly on Spring/Hibernate.  I have the "Spring Recipes" book, which looks pretty good, and I'm going to work my way through that.  But if you knew of any small, known-working examples of Spring and/or Hibernate in addition to that book, that would be great too.  It's not that I'm too lazy to Google, but my Googling has turned up more broken codebases that don't even compile or match the documentation (as is the case here).

And next time i'll be more patient on IRC   Thanks again and have a great weekend.

• 3. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
              peterj
              For an "it is working app" try http://localhost:8080 (gives the home page) or http://localhost:8080/jmx-console (display the MBeans).
              • 4. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?

I think you misunderstood what this user is wanting, as this is also what I want: a working example.  The web has a lot of old examples out there that don't work any more because of changes in JBoss.  I know how to bring up a page that shows if JBoss is working, but that is not what this user is asking for.  He wants to see an example of Java code, XML, configuration information, that is a current working "hello world" application, complete with all annotations needed, that will work on any installed server.  Can somebody please provide this or point us to where it can be found?

My suggestion would be that for every JBoss release there needs to be complete examples of how to use the new features, and these should be written for beginners since for any given new JBoss release there will be new people coming on board, especially if the product becomes easier and easier to use.

Many thanks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                  peterj

I think that between Jaikiran and myself we did answer the questions. Jaikiran pointed out the the documentation was incorrect and that the examples the docs referred to (in the link Davaid provided) do not ship with JBoss AS (i.e., the docs are wrong), then David asked for a way to tell that JBoss AS was successfully installed and running so I gave URLs for apps that ship with JBoss AS.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with asking for additional example applications - there are some EJB examples somewhere, Jaikiran probably knows where since we works on the EJB team (or if I can find them I will pst the URL). And I do like your request to provide several example apps.

• 6. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                    jaikiran

The EJB3 tutorials are here http://www.jboss.org/ejb3/docs.html

For AS-6, there are plans to include a complete set of documentation every release. I believe there will be some simple tutorials too. Right now, it's in initial stages to point to anything for AS-6, but there's definitely some activity around providing good documentation with each AS release.

• 7. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                      dj_segfault

No, Peter, Ken is right.  Like I said, I was (and still am) looking for a sample program I can run.  It would be nice if the documentation was right (whether that means including the example mentioned in the docs, or removing the reference to them in the docs), but my goal is an example application I can examine.

I know Java very well.  The problem is ALL of the J2EE frameworks need a hell of a lot of configuration, and it varies greatly from one implementation to another.  It's not the Java code I'm concerned about, but configuring it and deploying it in JBoss.  Ken is also right that there are a LOT of examples that will no longer work (if they ever did) on the internet, so there's no way of knowing if it's something I did or a broken example when it fails.

To me, it's very telling that JBoss does not include working examples.  If it's so easy to use, why not spend a single day putting together an example that will take two numbers and add them together or something.  Tomcat comes with almost a dozen examples.

PS: I don't know why I just got notified of updates to this thread, when they happened back in April, but there you have it.  Ken, thanks for clarifying on my behalf.  And yes, I am still interested in working examples.  Thank you all.

• 8. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                        jonathanrice

Did you ever find working examples for JBOSS 5 or 6?  Preferably the jsfejb3 example.

• 9. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                          dj_segfault

No, I didn't.  I finally gave up.  I would love to try JBoss, but if the JBoss team themselves can't even create working examples (or accurate documentation), then how am I supposed to do it.

• 10. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                            kitanai_oni

I also need working examples of JBoss 5 since so far the documentation that is out there simply shows xml - fragments of what the jboss deployment descriptors should look like.   Specifically I'm migrating from JBoss 4 and am left with nothing but trial - and error to decrypt JBoss's exceptions.   If someone could kindly point to working examples that *have to be out there*, it would greatly help the community as well as everyone on this thread.

• 11. Re: Just installed jboss-5.1.0.GA.zip; where are the examples?
                              kitanai_oni

We finally got past our integration to Jboss - 5.0 (from 4.x), but it required a HORRIBLE technique of reverse engineering the droll - jboss exceptions against the jboss sourcecode to parse what deployment descriptor - xml tags it was tripping over.   Not having real working examples, nor meaningful documentation past code snippets isn't exactly what I'd call 'open source'.