3 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 6:58 AM by maxandersen

How to extend ESB editor with custom actions

bblasko

We have developed a set of custom actions for use in the ESB.  We would like to be able to extend the ESB editor and add a new section to the New->Actions context menu an provide appropriate forms for entering the configuration data.

A bit of digging and it appears these are modelled using the .meta files in the core plugin and there is an extension point for this.  Is there any documentation on how to use this extension if in fact this is the right path to take?

Any suggestions would help.

• 1. Re: How to extend ESB editor with custom actions
          maxandersen

The esb xml editor is currently not built for much custom extension possibilities in mind.

Got some examples of what you were looking to be doing ?

• 2. Re: How to extend ESB editor with custom actions
            bblasko

I have created some new actions; a detour, a variantion on a smooks mapper, and some custom actions we use to integrate with our custom solutions in the ESB.  I wanted to by able to have the editor show my new actions in the new->action menu and then guide the user in the correct configurations for each.  Using the custom action requires them to know the class name, what properties to set, etc which can lead to errors by our integration designers that will be creating the integration flows.   When I'm done, I want to have a plugin that can be installed with the JBoss tools that provides our custom extras in the editor.

I was able to figure out by trial and error that you could do this by creating a new plugin and extending the extension points for the XModel meta information files.   Then it was a matter of figuring out what each thing did in the XModel.  There is one posting on it http://community.jboss.org/wiki/XModelinJBossTools which helped a bit but it would really be useful to understand what each tag does, particularly the ones that drive the dialog editor pages.  Looking at the source code as helped as well.

• 3. Re: How to extend ESB editor with custom actions
              maxandersen

Okey - now I understand what you are trying to do.

The code completion of action's on the classpath is not enough, you want a more "guided" UI for your custom processes.

what you have done until now is to use what we consider very internal API and that's impressive , but I don't want to promise

you that this will continue to work when updates come out etc.

You should open a bug request on JBIDE jira so we don't forget this feature request and can see if we can find some way to work on this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful