1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 5:30 PM by henk53 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
        henk53

Because of this I am very curious what the root cause is. it's very hard for me to imagine when looking throught he code. Have you tried using our GA? There was this bug below which applied to a web project inside an ear project back in CR2. It's possible this issue is related to that, though this time occurring on the web project and it's child libs.

p.s. yes we do use the GA, but wasn't the bug still open when the GA was released? If I'm not mistaken the fix was committed a while after. Which brings me to the next question; do you expect to release another build for 3.1 soon?

• 16. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
          dgolovin

JBossTools 3.1.1. should be out till the end of the month.

• 17. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
            henk53

Denis Golovin wrote:

JBossTools 3.1.1. should be out till the end of the month.

Okay, and what about this month? Will we see a 3.1.1 in June?

Anyway, in case some extra information about this bug is still needed; it seems the Mac is also more susceptible to this bug. On my own Mac (OS X 10.5), the problem is 100% reproducible. I.e. I *always* have it right after I start up Eclipse.

Now a co-worker of my who's also using a Mac never had this problem, but he was still running on Eclipse 3.5.1/JBoss tools 3.1.0RC2. He just upgraded to Eclipse 3.5.2/JBoss tools 3.1.0GA, and he immediately had the empty WEB-INF/lib. After the by now well known workaround of closing and re-opening the affected project, and performing the clean operation on the server runtime, the libs were back.

Meanwhile, I almost never see the problem on my Ubuntu box, which is also running Eclipse 3.5.2/JBoss tools 3.1.0GA.

• 18. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
              maxandersen

Check the updatesite

• 19. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                henk53

Max Andersen wrote:

Check the updatesite

Great that it has been released!

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. This update didn't seem to have fixed this particular problem

On Ubuntu 10.04, running Eclipse 3.5.2 with JBoss tools 3.1.0GA, I entered the following URL in P2: http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/JBossTools-3.1.1.GA

I got the message: "Your original request has been modified.
                "JBossAS Tools" is already installed, so an update will be performed instead.", I selected ok, restarted Eclipse and afterwards started JBoss AS via the Jboss tools server adapter.

On the first boot, I got a deployment error again, and when I inspected the deployment on my fs, WEB-INF/lib was empty again. I then performed the well known trick: close projects, open projects, select clean on the server adapter. After this the libs were back.

Thinking it might be stale state remaining from the JBoss tools 3.1.0GA install, I closed Eclipse. Started Eclipse again and thereafter started JBoss AS again. To my horror, the same deployment error was reported and upon inspecting the fs again, the libs were once again gone I double checked that I'm running the correct version of Jboss Tools, but Eclipse really says "Version: 2.1.1.v201006011046R-H111-GA", which should be the right one, shouldn't it?

I will also test this on my most sensitive machine (the OS X one) and report back later how this went.

• 20. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                  maxandersen

Thanks for following up - let us know how it goes and reopen or create a new issue linking to the original one if you can reproduce.

• 21. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                    henk53

Max Andersen wrote:

Thanks for following up - let us know how it goes and reopen or create a new issue linking to the original one if you can reproduce.

Well, good news this time

I finally upgraded the sensitive machine (the OS X one) to JBoss tools 3.1.1, and this time right after the restart I first removed my project from the server runtime, then hit clean (so I would actually be removed), restarted Eclipse, added the deployment, hit publish and started up JBoss AS. The libs were there. This is a sure win already.

Then the big test. I stopped JBoss AS via the server runtime, quitted Eclipse and started Eclipse again. The server run-time showed as status "stopped". I then clicked "debug" on its context menu and among others it said it was 're-publishing'. Since my machine is rather slow and the project is rather big, this took some time. When the re-publish finally finished, the server started. I checked the deployment on my fs, and the libs were actually still there! I hope they stay there, but this is a 100% improvement, since before the libs were never ever there after a fresh start of Eclipse and starting JBoss AS.

More good news is that the Ubuntu 10.04 machine, that initially showed the problem right after installing JBoss tools 3.1.1 now seems to behave alright too. Perhaps it was just an initial glitch because the project was still deployed when I upgraded, I'm not sure. I've stopped Eclipse and started Eclipse since then and the libs remain where they are.

It's a tiny bit of a nuisance that Eclipse now does this republishing thing after a restart of Eclipse, while in fact this should maybe not be necessary since nothing has changed, but this is really minor and only really noticeable on my slow OS X machine anyway.

I'll try to do some more explicit testing later but for now anything seems well. Thanks a lot for all your efforts!

• 22. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                      rob.stryker

Glad to hear our recent patches worked well for you =]               

• 23. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                        maxandersen

Hi,

Good to hear things are better

I'm though curious to what you are seeing when eclipse starts up..does it do a full publish or are it just checking if things needs updating ?

Could you compare timestamps on the deployed files to see how much actually get updated ?

• 24. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                          rob.stryker

I am willing to bet that a full publish is executed. When the workspace is started the publish state is UNKNOWN. This is because anything could have happened between resets and I don't think the framework persists the publish state ever.

This means when the first publish is initiated, it *must* be a full publish, since there is no incremental delta to make use of.     

• 25. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                            maxandersen

okey - but is that how its always been ? Did we change the behavior ?

• 26. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                              rob.stryker

That behaviour has not changed at all.                    

• 27. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                                henk53

Unfortunately I have to report that the bug is still there, as it has more or less mysteriously returned on my OS X system.

After being able to work with Eclipse/JBoss tools for some time without any problems, the missing WEB-INF/lib directory after a fresh start of Eclipse suddenly returned. I did make one change to my installation recently, and that is install MercurialEclipse. In an existing workspace, I deleted the SVN projects I normally worked on, and cloned those again from our central Mercurial repository (my company has migrated from SVN to Mercurial). A little later, although not immediately I got the missing WEB-INF/lib again.

The problem seems to be 100% reproducible. Every time I start Eclipse I have the problem. The old trick of closing and opening a project, followed by a clean (redeploy) brings WEB-INF/lib back. The problem doesn't surface again as long as I don't restart Eclipse.

• 28. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                                  maxandersen

Henk,

Could you compare timestamps on the deployed files to see how much actually get updated ?

• 29. Re: WEB-INF/lib remains empty after deployment
                                    maxandersen

Rob, if it is a full publish then why is the lib folder missing ?