4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 2:57 AM by rebody

jBPM is alive and kicking

aguizar

Mark Little, Director of Middleware Engineering at JBoss by Red Hat, blogged today about the future of workflow in JBoss. He gives an ellaborate picture not only of where the jBPM project is going but also where it comes from. As stated in the post, JBoss continues to offer support services for jBPM 3 (as part of the SOA Platform) and sustain engineering effort around jBPM 4. Community features will eventually make their way into jBPM 5. Smooth transition between the previous versions and jBPM 5 will be a key consideration.

Stemming from Mark's statement, I would like to confirm  the release of jBPM 4.4. For the roadmap, check our issue tracking system. Note that many of the unresolved issues listed there will not make it before the deadline. Please help us determine the most important issues to fix by discussing them here. If you further have concrete solutions to propose, please visit the development forum.

• 1. Re: jBPM is alive and kicking
          rebody

Hi Alejandro,

The roadmap of jBPM 4 on the JIRA almost out of date.  Sine Joram left jboss, the issue of BPMN2 should be delayed to version 4.x.  And there are still a lot of unfixed bugs,  some of them are serious blocking developer to use it in the production envrionment.  Fixing bugs and releasing a new version in the near future is the best solution to stablize the community.

By the way, the AttachmentTest is failure in the current trunk.  I had post it in the development forum.  If you have time, please have a look at this.

http://community.jboss.org/thread/151017

I would like to do anything on keeping maintaining jBPM 4.  If you are looking for contributors, please let me know.  Thank you very much.

• 2. Re: jBPM is alive and kicking

One of the things that seem odd to me is the fact that timers can't be scheduled dynamically using absolute dates

Durations work, but absolute dates don't

What I'd like to be able to do is to say <timer duedatetime=#{myvar}/> (please note that I use duedatetime and not duedate)

(the problem is that conversion to date happens way early at jPDL parsing time and it really should be deferred until TImerImpl is instantiated)

I don't know about others but we need this type of feature a lot and we ended up fixing it in a limited way for ourselves (not robust enough and can't be used as a permanent solution)

Perhaps the basic nature of this feature makes it a good candidate for 4.4?

gelos

• 3. Re: jBPM is alive and kicking
              aguizar

Huisheng Xu escribió:

Hi Alejandro,

The roadmap of jBPM 4 on the JIRA almost out of date.  Sine Joram left jboss, the issue of BPMN2 should be delayed to version 4.x.  And there are still a lot of unfixed bugs,  some of them are serious blocking developer to use it in the production envrionment.  Fixing bugs and releasing a new version in the near future is the best solution to stablize the community.

By the way, the AttachmentTest is failure in the current trunk.  I had post it in the development forum.  If you have time, please have a look at this.

http://community.jboss.org/thread/151017

I would like to do anything on keeping maintaining jBPM 4.  If you are looking for contributors, please let me know.  Thank you very much.

Huisheng, yes, definitely. Please tell me if you are willing and able to take on some of the JIRA issues currently scheduled for jBPM 4.4 or propose new ones for inclusion. Thanks!

• 4. Re: jBPM is alive and kicking
                rebody

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you for you reply.

I have seen many issues having been moved to 4.x.  And there are 29 issues left.  I think I could take some of them.  I will review them.  If there are some issues I can handle,  I will upload related testcase and patch.

By the way, could you upgrade activation.jar from 1.1 to 1.1.1.  I need this to make AttachmentTest passed under JDK-1.5.  Thank you very much.