6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 4:57 AM by charles_a

Insert user information for process instance

swiderski.maciej

This is continuation of of the discussion started on the parent forum - http://community.jboss.org/thread/150711

Short description:

Possibility to have information about the initiator of startup of the process instance. It mostly refers to usage via BPM console and its components (RESTful interface).

Sebastian suggested a quite complete solution for this with usage of already available methods in ProcessEngine.

With regards to that I have a questions:

- how that user information should be exposed to the process instance/execution?

- is it possible to reference to it from jpdl?

Obviously this requires development in both jBPM runtime and BPM console. As a intermediate solution I would like to suggest to give users of jBPM access to request information on the form (both task and process). Since forms are freemarker templates it is a matter of providing additional objects to the context prior to rendering.

This should give users quite easy way to get user info and some additional stuff if needed (especially when executing via REST interface without UI).

Development affects BPM console and its plugins without jBPM runtime.

What's your opinion?

Cheers,

Maciej

• 1. Re: Insert user information for process instance
          rebody

Hi Maciej,

The most easiest way to store the start of a process is extending the JBPM4_EXECUTION, we could add a starter column, or something like this.

Also, we should consider the authentication requirments for the starter of process. Who could be allowed to start this process definition, maybe we should use PARTICIPANTS to make a relationship between ProcessDefinition and Identity.

• 2. Re: Insert user information for process instance
            swiderski.maciej

Hi,

yes, you are right. My intention was to provide a simple yet quite usable way of getting hold of user information while starting/signaling process instance.

What you described is much wider in scope and touches authorization. I meant just to give a possibility to process designers to decide if they are interested in having user information not storing it automatically, at least not at this point.

In addition, any other request information could be provided together with user info, such as additional request parameters, remote host information, headers, etc.

Cheers,

Maciej

• 3. Re: Insert user information for process instance
              mwohlf

Hi HuiSheng,

[...]

The most easiest way to store the start of a process is extending the JBPM4_EXECUTION, we could add a starter column, or something like this.

[...]

I read the related forum posts and the JIRA about this, maybe i still miss the point here, but extending the JBPM4_EXECUTION table for this seems wrong to me. A much better approach imho would be to keep that information in a swimlane like it is done in JBPM3 ( see: http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v3/userguide/taskmanagement.html section 11.7)

...and thanks for your great work on jBPM4

• 4. Re: Insert user information for process instance
                rebody

Hi Michael,

I think you are right.  The swimlane is much better than just add a assign column in process instance.  Thank you for your link.  I will read it carefully.

• 5. Re: Insert user information for process instance
                  newbeewan2

Hi,

As HuiSheng Xu ask me, I send you my point of view about that subject...

AFAIK, there are serveral needs linked to put user information in a process.

• find some process by userid (by adding userid in process instance info),
                  • enforce the usage of identity, user who start the process could be the default assignee (with a particular EL for exemple),
                  • Check if the user could start an instance of a particular process (need some adds in jpdl to descripe that !)

Regards

• 6. Re: Insert user information for process instance
                    charles_a

Hi guys,

some input:

• capturing the initiator shouldn´t be linked in any way with tasks. We have processes withtout tasks, but we still need the information who started this process
                    • we use a swimlane for the initiator. The swimlane evaluates a variables we pass in on process start. In the process we use this swimlane to reference to the initiator.
                    • after a process has finished the initiator information shoudn´t be lost. We need to be able to find  process instances (running and finished) "per initiator". Therefore, we additionally create a history variables to persist this information.

Currently, we provide the initiator information on process start to let the swimlane know the value. And then, we create a history variable for it, which is (programatically) only possible after the process has been started. A bit of the same work twice, but it works and happens automatically in our system. We did´t want to the user to specifiy history variables it in the process definition for the initiator, as it´s a requirement that must always be met.

Cheers,

Charles