1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 10:51 AM by swiderski.maciej

Async Fork Transaction Issues

rhodos

Hi,

I am trying to get an async fork test process working on jBPM 4.3.  I am using the HSQLDB with the default configuration except that the job executor is activated to allow concurrency.  The process just forks into two custom nodes, A and B, where their names should be printed 5 times with pauses in between each print.  It works as expected in sync mode, but with async, I am having issues:

1) When run as a Java application , the following exception is thrown:

org.hibernate.StaleObjectStateException: Row was updated or deleted by another transaction (or unsaved-value mapping was incorrect): [org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl#7]

2) When run as a unit test, each node only prints its name once, and the test passes.

I know that someone else posted the same error message (See http://community.jboss.org/message/525042#525042) and said that theirs worked as a unit test, and the conclusion was just to wait for 4.4.  However, I really don't have much time!  Can anyone verify whether 4.4 will fix this issue and when is the expected release date, or let me know what I'm doing wrong, or give me advice for a workaround?  

Please help!

Thanks,

Rachel

• 1. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
          swiderski.maciej

HI,

when I run your process (but with my simple test classes - you did not attach source) including your configuration test fails indeed.

What I did to make it to work was to disable jobexecutor in jbpm.cfg.xml. After that change test went well. I tested that for both 4.3 and 4.4.

If that would not help you please post source for custom nodes I will try to dig a bit deeper.

HTH

Maciej

• 2. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
            rhodos

Hi,

Sorry about that, here is the sourcecode.

The problem is that I need it to work with the job executor, because I need concurrent forked executions.

Thanks for looking into it.

Rachel

• 3. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
              swiderski.maciej

Hi Rachel,

took me some time to look deeper into your issue but finally I did it. Here are some explanations:

2) When run as a unit test, each node only prints its name once, and the test passes.

This is due to not enough time for job executors to finish their job, I mean that your main thread (junit) will kill all child threads as soon it will go through the loop. Just put a sleep on your main class and you should get all print outs from your custom nodes.

1) When run as a Java application , the following exception is thrown:

org.hibernate.StaleObjectStateException: Row was updated or deleted by another transaction (or unsaved-value mapping was incorrect): [org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl#7]

I could reproduce that only when I manually executed job at the same time job executors were running. Moreover, I did deploy it to db and then run it from console and it worked fine. Did you try to run it from console?!

HTH

Maciej

• 4. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                rhodos

Hi Maciej,

Thanks so much for working on this!

I've been trying to run it from the console but I am having some issue with my configuration (see my other post: http://community.jboss.org/message/535308#535308). 

Also, what is the point of a unit test? Can this run operationally from the console somehow or is it only meant for testing purposes?

Rachel

• 5. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                  swiderski.maciej

Hi Rachel,

I would say that unit tests are only to verify that everything works as expected in isolation - so yes, only testing purposes.

Could you provide some information about how did you install jBPM and details about your environment - what server, what db, etc.

Cheers,

Maciej

• 6. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                    rhodos

Maciej,

I am using jBPM 4.3 with jBoss, HSQLDB, Java 1.6, on a Linux OS.  I don't know what information I can give about how I installed jBPM; I just add the jar files to my classpath.. I am sending a new copy of my source code, as it's slightly changed, and I'm also attaching the the parser I'm using.  The error seems to be with parsing jbpm.cfg.xml.  No matter how I change this file (I've tried unchanged, removing the first line, commenting everything out, etc.), I get this error: 

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cfg.ConfigurationParser.<init>(ConfigurationParser.java:46)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cfg.ConfigurationParser.<clinit>(ConfigurationParser.java:49)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cfg.ConfigurationImpl.parse(ConfigurationImpl.java:139)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cfg.ConfigurationImpl.setResource(ConfigurationImpl.java:118)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cfg.ConfigurationImpl.setResource(ConfigurationImpl.java:52)
                    at org.jbpm.api.Configuration.setResource(Configuration.java:74)
                    at jpl.mipl.pgs.test.ConcurrencyTest.initialize(ConcurrencyTest.java:30)
                    at org.jbpm.test.JbpmTestCase.setUp(JbpmTestCase.java:78)
                    at jpl.mipl.pgs.test.ConcurrencyTest.setUp(ConcurrencyTest.java:47)
                    at jpl.mipl.pgs.test.ConcurrencyTest.main(ConcurrencyTest.java:83)
                    Caused by: org.jbpm.api.JbpmException:
                      error: couldn't parse xml document : org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.ProblemList.getJbpmException(ProblemList.java:175)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.ProblemList.getJbpmException(ProblemList.java:141)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.Parse.checkErrors(Parse.java:190)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.wire.xml.WireParser.<clinit>(WireParser.java:284)
                    ... 10 more
                    Caused by: org.jbpm.api.JbpmException
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.ProblemList.getJbpmException(ProblemList.java:171)
                    ... 13 more
                    Caused by: org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
                    at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.createElementNS(Unknown Source)
                    at org.apache.xerces.dom.DOMImplementationImpl.createDocument(Unknown Source)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.Parser.buildDom(Parser.java:442)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.Parser.execute(Parser.java:389)
                    at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.xml.Parse.execute(Parse.java:158)
                    Any ideas?
                    Rachel
                    • 7. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                      rebody

Hi  Rachel,

The error is most likely there is invalid character in the jbpm.cfg.xml. I am afraid your jbpm.cfg.xml may be broken by some reason. You should find a new jbpm.cfg.xml from jBPM distribution, overwrite the old one, and try again.

• 8. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                        swiderski.maciej

Hi,

I am not sure it should be xerces - at least it is not part of jBPM distribution.

I would suggest to create your class path strictly based on following libraries:

- ${jbpm43.home}/jbpm.jar

- ${jbpm43.home}/*.jar

Of course you could add your own classes as well but please be careful with adding any xml parsers.

Cheers,

Maciej

• 9. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                          rhodos

Maciej,

You're right- I don't get that error when I simplify my classpath to include only jbpm jars.  This is good! :]

Now, when you said that you got it working from the console, did it work with the threads running concurrently (i.e. printing something like "A, B, A, A, B.."?

Rachel

• 10. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                            swiderski.maciej

Yes, it did print it properly.

/Maciej

• 11. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                              rhodos

This is great news for me! Are you using HSQLDB? With READ_UNCOMMITTED isolation?

• 12. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                                swiderski.maciej

yes exactly same settings as described above.

/Maciej

• 13. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                                  rhodos

Maciej,

With the source code I sent you, I get a NullPointerException because repositoryService isn't defined. 

When I add the following lines to the end of ConcurrencyTest.initialize() (and import the RepositoryService class):

repositoryService = processEngine.get(RepositoryService.class);

executionService = processEngine.getExecutionService();

the process gets farther but then throws the following exception:
                                       13:48:55,893 INF   | [DefaultCommandService] exception while executing command org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cmd.SignalCmd@15a4523

org.jbpm.api.JbpmException: execution[TestConcurrencySimple.7.to A] is not active: async

Then, if I comment out signalExecutionById, I get the original exception I was complaining about:

org.hibernate.StaleObjectStateException: Row was updated or deleted by another transaction (or unsaved-value mapping was incorrect):      [org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl#7]

How the heck did you get my source code to work??

(Sorry to keep throwing new questions at you.)

Rachel

Full output from last scenario:

java jpl.mipl.pgs.test.ConcurrencyTest

ConcurrencyTest.main, beginning

ConcurrencyTest, before super.setup()

jpl/mipl/pgs/test/jbpm.cfg.xml

building ProcessEngine from resource jpl/mipl/pgs/test/jbpm.cfg.xml

14:02:57,395 INF | [DispatcherThread] starting DispatcherThread

14:02:57,432 INF   | [Environment] Hibernate 3.3.1.GA

14:02:57,445 INF   | [Environment] hibernate.properties not found

14:02:57,457 INF   | [Environment] Bytecode provider name : javassist

14:02:57,473 INF   | [Environment] using JDK 1.4 java.sql.Timestamp handling

14:02:57,632 INF   | [Configuration] configuring from resource: jbpm.hibernate.cfg.xml

14:02:57,633 INF   | [Configuration] Configuration resource: jbpm.hibernate.cfg.xml

14:02:57,752 INF   | [Configuration] Reading mappings from resource : jbpm.repository.hbm.xml

14:02:58,233 INF   | [Configuration] Reading mappings from resource : jbpm.execution.hbm.xml

14:02:58,668 INF   | [Configuration] Reading mappings from resource : jbpm.history.hbm.xml

14:02:58,901 INF   | [Configuration] Reading mappings from resource : jbpm.task.hbm.xml

14:02:59,014 INF   | [Configuration] Reading mappings from resource : jbpm.identity.hbm.xml

14:02:59,098 INF   | [Configuration] Configured SessionFactory: null

14:02:59,162 INF   | [DriverManagerConnectionProvider] Using Hibernate built-in connection pool (not for production use!)

14:02:59,163 INF   | [DriverManagerConnectionProvider] Hibernate connection pool size: 20

14:02:59,164 INF   | [DriverManagerConnectionProvider] autocommit mode: false

14:02:59,194 INF   | [DriverManagerConnectionProvider] using driver: org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver at URL: jdbc:hsqldb:mem:.

14:02:59,195 INF   | [DriverManagerConnectionProvider] connection properties: {user=sa, password=****}

14:02:59,698 INF   | [Dialect] Using dialect: org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect

14:02:59,729 INF   | [TransactionFactoryFactory] Using default transaction strategy (direct JDBC transactions)

14:02:59,736 INF   | [TransactionManagerLookupFactory] No TransactionManagerLookup configured (in JTA environment, use of read-write or transactional second-level cache is not recommended)

14:02:59,750 INF   | [ASTQueryTranslatorFactory] Using ASTQueryTranslatorFactory

14:02:59,914 INF   | [SessionFactoryImpl] building session factory

14:03:01,825 INF   | [SessionFactoryObjectFactory] Not binding factory to JNDI, no JNDI name configured

14:03:01,851 INF   | [SchemaExport] Running hbm2ddl schema export

14:03:01,853 INF   | [SchemaExport] exporting generated schema to database

14:03:01,906 INF   | [SchemaExport] schema export complete

14:03:02,643 INF   | [CheckDbCmd] jBPM version info: library[4.3], schema[null]

ConcurrencyTest, after super.setup()

setUp completed...

testActivityOrder: number of children = 2

testActivityOrder: signaling TestConcurrencySimple.7.to A

testActivityOrder: signaling TestConcurrencySimple.7.to B

ConcurrencyTest.main, after testActivityOrder

my name is A

my name is B

concurrencyTest.main, after tearDown

my name is A

my name is B

my name is A

my name is A

my name is B

my name is A

my name is B

In PrintNameMulti: state of execution: active-concurrent

In PrintNameMulti: execution id: TestConcurrencySimple.7.to A

my name is A2

14:03:09,097 WRN     | [HSQLDialect] HSQLDB supports only READ_UNCOMMITTED isolation

### EXCEPTION ###########################################

14:03:09,108 SEV     | [ExecuteJobCmd] exception while executing 'message[9]'

at org.hibernate.dialect.lock.SelectLockingStrategy.lock(SelectLockingStrategy.java:102)

at org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect$ReadUncommittedLockingStrategy.lock(HSQLDialect.java:306)

at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.lock(AbstractEntityPersister.java:1361)

at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractLockUpgradeEventListener.upgradeLock(AbstractLockUpgradeEventListener.java:108)

at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLockEventListener.onLock(DefaultLockEventListener.java:87)

at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireLock(SessionImpl.java:611)

at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.lock(SessionImpl.java:603)

at org.jbpm.jpdl.internal.activity.JoinActivity.execute(JoinActivity.java:68)

at org.jbpm.jpdl.internal.activity.JoinActivity.execute(JoinActivity.java:49)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.op.ExecuteActivity.perform(ExecuteActivity.java:60)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl.performAtomicOperationSync(ExecutionImpl.java:656)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistLazyInitializer.invoke(JavassistLazyInitializer.java:197)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl_$$_javassist_5.performAtomicOperationSync(ExecutionImpl_$$_javassist_5.java)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.op.ExecuteEventListenerMessage.execute(ExecuteEventListenerMessage.java:154)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cmd.ExecuteJobCmd.execute(ExecuteJobCmd.java:76)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cmd.ExecuteJobCmd.execute(ExecuteJobCmd.java:42)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.DefaultCommandService.execute(DefaultCommandService.java:42)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.tx.StandardTransactionInterceptor.execute(StandardTransactionInterceptor.java:54)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.EnvironmentInterceptor.executeInNewEnvironment(EnvironmentInterceptor.java:53)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.EnvironmentInterceptor.execute(EnvironmentInterceptor.java:40)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.RetryInterceptor.execute(RetryInterceptor.java:55)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.SkipInterceptor.execute(SkipInterceptor.java:43)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.jobexecutor.JobParcel.run(JobParcel.java:48)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

14:03:09,117 INF     | [DefaultCommandService] exception while executing command org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cmd.ExecuteJobCmd@1a998c7

at org.hibernate.dialect.lock.SelectLockingStrategy.lock(SelectLockingStrategy.java:102)

at org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect$ReadUncommittedLockingStrategy.lock(HSQLDialect.java:306)

at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.lock(AbstractEntityPersister.java:1361)

at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractLockUpgradeEventListener.upgradeLock(AbstractLockUpgradeEventListener.java:108)

at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLockEventListener.onLock(DefaultLockEventListener.java:87)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.op.ExecuteActivity.perform(ExecuteActivity.java:60)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl.performAtomicOperationSync(ExecutionImpl.java:656)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistLazyInitializer.invoke(JavassistLazyInitializer.java:197)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.ExecutionImpl_$$_javassist_5.performAtomicOperationSync(ExecutionImpl_$$_javassist_5.java)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.model.op.ExecuteEventListenerMessage.execute(ExecuteEventListenerMessage.java:154)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.DefaultCommandService.execute(DefaultCommandService.java:42)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.tx.StandardTransactionInterceptor.execute(StandardTransactionInterceptor.java:54)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.EnvironmentInterceptor.executeInNewEnvironment(EnvironmentInterceptor.java:53)

at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.svc.EnvironmentInterceptor.execute(EnvironmentInterceptor.java:40)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

my name is B

In PrintNameMulti: state of execution: active-concurrent

In PrintNameMulti: execution id: TestConcurrencySimple.7.to B

my name is B2

14:03:11,700 WRN       | [HSQLDialect] HSQLDB supports only READ_UNCOMMITTED isolation

14:03:11,702 SEV       | [ExecuteJobCmd] exception while executing 'message[12]'

14:03:11,703 INF       | [DefaultCommandService] exception while executing command org.jbpm.pvm.internal.cmd.ExecuteJobCmd@1fd9cd5

• 14. Re: Async Fork Transaction Issues
                                    swiderski.maciej

true, I am not using your class for execution i use regular test case that extends JbpmTestCase.

/Maciej

1 2 Previous Next