1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 3:51 AM by maxandersen

JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!

maxandersen
      The final JBoss Tools 3.1 release is out, see details at http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/JBossTools31Final
        • 1. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
          asookazian
          • 2. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
            asookazian

I'd like to upgrade.  I believe I have 3.1.0.M4 (3.1.0.v200910281724M-H247-M4) currently.  Is there an easy way to find out what version of a plugin you have without looking at all the folders in the eclipse\plugins folder?  This is always such a pain.

I search for updates in Eclipse (it does not allow me to search for updates for particular plugins!)

I see JBossAS tools 2.1.0 and JBoss Tools RichFaces 3.1.0.GA but nothing else with 3.1.0.GA.

What is the best (and safest) way to upgrade?

• 3. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
              dgolovin

asookazian wrote:

I'd like to upgrade.  I believe I have 3.1.0.M4 (3.1.0.v200910281724M-H247-M4) currently.  Is there an easy way to find out what version of a plugin you have without looking at all the folders in the eclipse\plugins folder?  This is always such a pain.

You can find all versions for JBossTools Plugins in "About Eclipse Platform" Dialog. Use "Help->About Eclipse Platform" bar menu to show it. Then click on JBossTools button jboss_tools.png

asookazian wrote:

I search for updates in Eclipse (it does not allow me to search for updates for particular plugins!

It acually is Go to "About Eclipse Platform" dialog again. Click "Installation Details" button and you get to "Eclipse Platform Installation Detail" Dialog. Select feature you'd like to upgrade on "Installed Software" tab. If feature was installed trough update site "Update..." button should be enabled at the bottom of dialog.

• 4. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                dgolovin

asookazian wrote:

If you update from Development Releases like 3.1.0.M1, ..., 3.1.0.M4, 3.1.0.CR1, ..., 3.1.0.CR3 update from satble galileo update site should work for you. If you have any problem with update you can try to uninstall JBossTools Plugins and then install them form update site. If previous steps don't help you or If you have nightly version the best way is fresh eclipse installation and then installation JBossTools from online or offline update site.

I personally prefer to use to Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers and and then to install JBossTools from online update site. It is better because in "Eclipse Platform Installation Details" Dialog (see previous post) all eclipse plug-ins will be aggregated under one item and gives easy way to install all JBossTools plugins if it is needed.

• 5. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                  dgolovin

asookazian wrote:

I see JBossAS tools 2.1.0 and JBoss Tools RichFaces 3.1.0.GA but nothing else with 3.1.0.GA.

If you're using "Help->Check for Updates" and see only those two component it means you have installed only two components before. So you can update them first and then use "Help->Install New Software..." to install other components.

I've just verified update from http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/stable/galileo/ from 3.1.0.M4 development release to 3.1.0.GA and it works for me.

• 6. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                    henk53

I have personally never succeeded in letting Eclipse automatically find a JBoss Tools update if the update URL has changed (say from CR1, to CR2, or from CR2 to GA).

What I do instead is just adding the new update URL in Eclipse and attempt to install the particular plug-ins I'm interested in as if I didn't have it yet. Eclipse will then notify me I already have those plug-ins and will change the install into an update to the latest version. But now I think of it, first entering the new update URL and then letting Eclipse search for updates might work too, I just have never tried it and the above way is a fast and convenient way if you only have 1 or 2 plug-ins installed.

• 7. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                      dgolovin

We have to keep separate update sites for stable releases of JBossTools 3.0.X.GA and 3.1.X.GA because Eclipse doesn't support updates between 3.X releases:

1. updates/stable - for JBT 3.0.X for Eclipse 3.4.X
                      2. updates/stable/galileo - for JBT 3.1.X for Eclipse 3.5.X

It happens because update site structure is incompatible between 3.X releases. That's why if you're upgrading from JBoosTools 3.0 to 3.1. you have to do fresh install Eclipse + JBossTools and why JBossTools 3.1.0.GA update site has different URL.

There is update site for development releases of JBossTools 3.1.0.BetaX, 3.1.0.MX and JBossTools 3.1.0.CRX, for some reasons it has no Galileo as part of url and it is just updates/development.

So if JBossTools 3.0.4 is going to happen it will be available troug the same update site (1), the same for 3.1.1 releases, they'll go to (2). We could have different update site for Helios release if the problem with update between Eclipse 3.X is still present for update from 3.5 to 3.6.

I guess that you where using nightly builds of JBossTools. Nightly builds are published in updates/nightly area with version names like:

1. updates/nightly/3.1.0.CR1
                      2. updates/nightly/3.1.0.CR2
                      3. updates/nightly/trunk

updates sites like (1) and (2) appear after branch is created for upcoming release.

So if you want to follow the version starting from nigtly build you can use update, but you have to change update site URL it at some point to follow the development cycle.

For example if you want follow JBossTools 3.2.0.Beta1 you have to start from updates/nightly/trunk update site. When it approaches the date one month before the Beta1 release, we create branch from trunk for Beta1 release and switch the version for trunk to Beta2 or M1. You have to switch to updates/nightly/3.2.0.Beta1 update site to follow it during release preparation. When all issues assigned to 3.2.Beta1 are fixed and QA is done updates/nightly/3.2.0.Beta1 migrates to updates/development.

• 8. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                        atijms

dgolovin wrote:

We have to keep separate update sites for JBossTools 3.0 and 3.1 because Eclipse doesn't support updates between 3.X releases:

1. updates/stable - for JBT 3.0.X for Eclipse 3.4.X
                        2. updates/stable/galileo - for JBT 3.1.X for Eclipse 3.5.X

What about 3. updates/helios?

Would there be a chance that just the JBoss Tools wtp server adapter be usuable with Eclipse 3.6/Helios?

• 9. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                          dgolovin
                          Sure it will be usable I have no deatils yet to declare, but as usual first versions is going to be available through nightly update site.
                          • 10. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                            henk53
                            Will the current JBoss Tools 3.1 WTP adapter work on Eclipse 3.6? (yeah, I could just try it of course, but just wondering whether it 'should' work or not)
                            • 11. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                              dgolovin
                              Ah, I thought about are "Are going to work" instead of "is current version working with Eclipse 3.6 ->WTP 3.2"? It looks like it can be installed, because it is locked to use eclipse/wtp plug-ins with versions equal or more than eclipse 3.5.0 and WTP 3.1.0, but that doesn't tell it is going to work without problems.
                              • 12. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!

Hey Folks,

Great work by the way on JBoss Tools 3.1.0 GA. A couple of things:

1. I created a new Seam Web Project and selected the default options.  I opted to create an EAR for my project. When the project got deployed to JBoss 5.1.0 GA Runtime, the application was getting deployed to some JBoss Runtime directory under JBoss Plugins in Eclipse installation directory. When I manually copied the exploded EAR file to the JBoss AS deploy directory, it gave me a ClassNotFoundError on com.sun.facelets.compiler.Compiler.   So, I think that there might be 2 issues here.

2. For the ClassNotFoundErrror, I know that Seam does not have to use Facelets but I would request that if the default project generator is putting Facelets as the view handler in JSF faces-config.xml, we include jsf-facelets.jar in the deploy directory.

3. We are using IBM Websphere 7 for Seam development.  When we can expect support for WAS 7 in JBoss Tools?

• 13. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!
                                  maxandersen

1+2) there should be *zero* difference between you deploying one or the other. If it works in one it must also work in the other, and vice versa if not working. Are you sure you copied *all* ?

3) We don't have anything specifically planned beyond what Eclipse provides for WAS deployment - what doesn't work for you today ?

• 14. Re: JBoss Tools 3.1 Final!

1+2) Could you please elaborate on your reply? All I am saying is that if I simply create a Seam Web Project within Eclipse (with JBoss Tools 3.1), it by default creates a Facelets enabled Seam project but fails to include jsf-facelets.jar in the classpath. As a result, the application does not run in JBoss out of the box.  I had to include jsf-facelets.jar in the classpath to fix the application deployment issue.

3). You are right.  The issue may be with Eclipse's support for WAS 7.  I have not tried making it work with WAS 7 since I did not see that option listed under Websphere servers.  I could try running a Websphere 7 Application Server and telling Eclipse it is a Websphere 6.1 Application Server.

1 2 Previous Next