7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 1:57 PM by djm_learningjboss

Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.

Windows xp jboss 4.2.2.GA

2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.pm.AttributePersistenceService] Started jboss:service=AttributePersistenceService
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.management.j2ee.LocalJBossServerDomain] handleNotification: javax.management.Notification[source=jboss.system:service=ServiceController][type=org.jboss.system.ServiceMBean.start][message=]
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] Starting dependent components for: jboss:service=AttributePersistenceService dependent components: []
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] starting service jboss.system:service=ThreadPool
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.management.j2ee.LocalJBossServerDomain] handleNotification: javax.management.Notification[source=jboss.system:service=ServiceController][type=org.jboss.system.ServiceMBean.start][message=]
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] Starting dependent components for: jboss.system:service=ThreadPool dependent components: [ObjectName: jboss:service=WebService
        State: CREATED
        I Depend On:
          jboss.system:service=ThreadPool
      , ObjectName: jboss:service=Naming
        I Depend On:
          jboss:service=NamingBeanImpl
      ]
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] starting service jboss:service=WebService
      2010-03-03 21:01:27,753 DEBUG [org.jboss.web.WebService] Starting jboss:service=WebService

Then exits. Wonder how to approach finding the issue?

• 1. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.
          f_marchioni

Hello,

are you starting from a clean installation or you have modified the services deployed somehow ?

have you by chance set the JBOSS_HOME property ? (so maybe you are pointing to a different installation by mistake)

regards

Francesco

JBoss AS 5 Development

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.

This is while deployment of a server.   I install Jboss and tested by executing C:\jboss-4.2.2.GA\bin\run.bat. So jboss starts and I can reach pages on via http://localhost:8080.  So Jboss_home=C:\jboss-4.2.2.GA and Java_home=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_17. What is the category to turn on Trace logging for "Starting jboss:service=WebService"?  Maybe that would give me more information.  Does it exit without an error or comment it's shutting down?

• 3. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.
              f_marchioni

Post the startup sequence of the application server from the server logs (C:\jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\log\server.log)

You should conceivably find the reason why the server shut down.......

• 4. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.

Thanks

I've attached the server.log

• 5. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.

Still looking for comments on this one:

I added some System out to Webserver.java

org.jboss.web.

start method

public void start() throws Exception

{

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java");

if (threadPool == null)

threadPool = new BasicThreadPool("ClassLoadingPool");

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java Threadpool");

try

{

System.out.println("port = " + port);

System.out.println("backlog = " + backlog);

System.out.println("bindAdress " + bindAddress.getHostAddress());

server = new ServerSocket(port, backlog, bindAddress);

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java started Serversocket");

log.debug("Started server: " + server);

listen();

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.javan listening");

}

catch(java.net.BindException be)

{

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java throwing Bind exception");

throw new Exception("Port "+port+" already in use.",be);

}

catch (IOException e)

{

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java throw io exception");

throw e;

}

catch (SecurityException r)

{

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java throw security exception");

throw r;

}

finally

{

System.out.println(" Im in WebServer.java finally");

}

This is what I get in the server.log every time I start jboss with my server code.  Jboss runs fine by in default server.

2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] Starting dependent components for: jboss.system:service=ThreadPool dependent components: [ObjectName: jboss:service=WebService
                    I Depend On:
                  , ObjectName: jboss:service=Naming
                    I Depend On:
                      jboss:service=NamingBeanImpl
                  ]
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 DEBUG [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] starting service jboss:service=WebService
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 INFO  [STDOUT] ctx.proxy start jboss:service=WebService ctx.proxy jboss:service=WebService
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 DEBUG [org.jboss.web.WebService] Starting jboss:service=WebService
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 INFO  [STDOUT]  Im in WebServer.java
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 INFO  [STDOUT]  Im in WebServer.java Threadpool
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 INFO  [STDOUT] port = 8083
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,250 INFO  [STDOUT] backlog = 50
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,359 DEBUG [org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread] Running
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,359 DEBUG [org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread] Disabled, waiting for notification
                  2010-03-07 11:00:56,359 INFO  [STDOUT] bindAdress 0.0.0.0

no error seem to get thrown by serversocket. Could some other thread in jboss be killing this thread.  Security Manager.

• 6. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.
                    f_marchioni

Hello,

Reading you logs seems that your Web server gets fail to start the Web Server ServerSocket. The odd thing is that you don't get what I expected "Bind :Address already in use". Have a look at what ports are busy with

netstat -no -p tcp

Do you have any service bound at port 8083 ?

I'd try to start with a clean state, without other services like Skype, MSN, Outlook etc which sometimes bind to the same port.

If you find any conflict and you cannot solve it by removing external applications, then you can change the port on which the jboss:service=WebService mbean is running (file conf/jboss-service.xml line ~ 210)

Hope it helps

Francesco

• 7. Re: Jboss fails to start No error in console or logs.

The problem was occuring on a system running XP SP3.  Was not able to find the cause, the JVM was exiting without error or memory dump (when run with java.exe directives). Installed the application onto a Vista laptop. Problem did not recur. Wasted alot of time on the one not JBoss related.