4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 4:04 AM by protocol7

Persisting Hibernate entities as process variables

Hi

As part of a jBPM4 prototype I'm working on, I would like to add instances of a custom class as process variables. I've created a Hibernate mapping definition and also confirmed that it works as expected when persisting this using the Hibernate API directly. However, when adding my instance as a variable, the following exception is thrown (tested with 4.2 and 4.3):

Exception in thread "main" org.hibernate.TransientObjectException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the transient instance before flushing: se.vgregion.rosproto.model.Issue

A reference to the Hibernate mapping has been added to the jBPM Hibernate configuration file (I use the same file when using Hibernate directly).

Do I need to persist the object myself before adding it as a variable or I'm I missing something obivous here? (I'm guessing the latter :-)

Here's the code I'm using, based on jbarrez Hello world example.

{code}

ProcessEngine processEngine = new Configuration().setResource("my.jbpm.cfg.xml").buildProcessEngine();

RepositoryService repositoryService = processEngine.getRepositoryService();

ExecutionService executionService = processEngine.getExecutionService();

repositoryService.createDeployment().addResourceFromClasspath("hello_world.jpdl.xml").deploy();

Issue issue = new Issue();

issue.setRequestor("req");

issue.setResponder("resp");

ProcessInstance instance = executionService.startProcessInstanceByKey("helloWorld");

executionService.setVariable(instance.getId(), "issue", issue);

{code}