10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 1:42 PM by kukeltje

jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration

Hi,

Has anyone tried to deploy jBpm 4.3 on Jboss 5.1 standard configuration (or all)? There seems to be a problem with ProcessEngine access through JNDI. Following error appears when I try to login to jbpm-console:

Servlet.service() for servlet Resteasy threw exception                                                                         
      org.jboss.resteasy.spi.UnhandledException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to load org.jboss.bpm.console.server.plugin.FormDispatcherPlugin: org.jbpm.integration.console.forms.FormDispatcherComposite                                                                                                                                                                    
              at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.handleApplicationException(SynchronousDispatcher.java:319)                                                                      
              at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.handleException(SynchronousDispatcher.java:230)                                                                                 
              at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.handleInvokerException(SynchronousDispatcher.java:206)                                                                          
              at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:360)                                                                                          
              at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:173)   

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
              at org.jbpm.pvm.internal.processengine.ProcessEngineImpl.get(ProcessEngineImpl.java:229)
              at org.jbpm.integration.console.forms.AbstractFormDispatcher.initializeProcessEngine(AbstractFormDispatcher.java:74)
              at org.jbpm.integration.console.forms.AbstractFormDispatcher.<init>(AbstractFormDispatcher.java:61)
              at org.jbpm.integration.console.forms.TaskFormDispatcher.<init>(TaskFormDispatcher.java:49)
              at org.jbpm.integration.console.forms.FormDispatcherComposite.<init>(FormDispatcherComposite.java:43)
              at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
              at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
              at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
              at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
              at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
              at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
              at org.jboss.bpm.console.server.util.ServiceLoader.loadFromServices(ServiceLoader.java:89)

Seems that ProcessEngine is found, but it is not initialized. I stumbled upon this issued while trying to include jbpm in my ear application based on Joram's train-ticket demo app and deploy it on standard configuration. It works on default jboss application.

• 1. Re: jBPM4.3 and JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration

Hey,

I use jbpm 4.3 and jboss 5.1.0.GA together. There are no problems. I used the ant script (with some changes) in the install directory to install jbpm into jboss and I used following targets:

- create.jbpm.schema

- install.jbpm.into.jboss

- load.example.identities (not needed only for tests)

• 2. Re: jBPM4.3 and JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
            Dominic, thx for answer. Do you use Jboss 5.1 "standard" or  "all" configuration (-c standard or -c all)? Jbpm works fine for me as well when I install it on "default". On "standard" configuration Jbpm starts, seems that it works fine, but I'm not able to use jbpm-console, because something goes wrong when jbpm-console app tries to access ProcessEngine that was obtained from JNDI. JNDI configurations for "standard" and "default" configurations are different (check jndi.properties in conf folder), but I haven't figured out whether or how that has something to do with Jbpm installation.
            • 3. Re: jBPM4.3 and JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
              Oh, my jboss start script still uses the "default" configuration! I thought, I started my jboss with the "standard" configuration. Sorry. Maybe I try it with the "standard" config when I'm at home.
              • 4. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration

I have the same issue.

And all I did was running ant targets as instructed. All out of the box. Works fine with 'default' configuration, does not with 'standard' or  'all' . Issues are present JBPM console, or simple tests I did on my own (so, it is not JBPM console related).

All deployes with no errors, error is fired on runtime.

I can log in (alex, password) to JBPM console, but I got the error, and no further actions are possible. Whichever action I choose, I got the same error pop up again.

Running on 'standard' is essential, as we can not go cluster without it.

Without it being possible, we would have to look for alternative WF engine.

• 5. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration

No responses for some time on this.

Does it mean no one tested it, or no one got it working?

Should we raise JIRA issue on this, or jboss 5.1 standard configuration is officially not supported by JBPM 4.3?

• 6. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
                    the same problem exist with Jboss 5.0 also with standard and all config  as i am also facing the same problem as an error window is pop up after login
                    • 7. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
                      brittobics

I  to have similar  problem wile using Jboss 5.1.0

I have installed  jbpm-installer-3.2.6.SP1.jar  in my system

i  have run the run.bat file from the jboss server.

But while running i have not found Jbpm-consle window

in the  jboss home page.

i am using windows 2003 server os

is there any problem.

i too need solution for this problem

• 8. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
                        swiderski.maciej

Hi,

I installed jBPM 4.3 on JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA without any problems. I used copy of all since it did that for clustered setup. I created two nodes (node01 and node02) and after verifying it starts up properly I did the installation.

Only difference is that I did it manually based on ant script shipped with the jBPM distribution. I followed only "install.jbpm.into.jboss" target.

No problems whatsoever. Everything is working properly including:

jBPM engine

jBPM console

gwt-server-console (RESTful interface)

signavio editor

Worth mentioning is that I downloaded JBoss manually not via ant script. I think ant script downloads 5.0.0.GA version.

Cheers,

Maciej

• 9. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
                          Thx for reply Maciej. I tried it again on both "standard" and "all" configuration, and you are right about "all" configuration.   I probably caused some confusion by claiming it doesn't work on all without trying it on clean install. But my claim about "standard" still remains. Now I'm not sure if it is jBPM thing at all, since that configuration should not be different from all (except for clustering support). I guess I'll stick with default for development,  all for production, and hopefully grab some time to investigate further problem with "standard" conf.
                          • 10. Re: jBPM console not working on JBoss 5.1.0 standard configuration
                            kukeltje
                            John, this thread is about jBPM 4.3. For 3.2.x please open a new thread.