7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 3:05 PM by psabbate

Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA

jamie.s

Hi,

Not exactly sure where to post this question...

I have this strange problem, where about 10 sec after I start JBoss, my desktop window manager freezes, meaning I can't switch to another application.  Can't mouse or alt-tab.  The other windows do not repaint.

If I am lucky, I will have my cursor in the console that I started JBoss in, and then I can hit Ctrl-C and kill the server, at which point the Gnome window manager unfreezes.    Within gnome-terminal itself, I can still switch tabs, and it is responsive...

If I am not so lucky, then I have to switch to a terminal (eg., Ctrl-Alt-F2) and kill the process.

Just upgraded to Fedora 12 / Gnome.

This is annoying as ^&%$#.

Anyone else ever see anything like this?

Not even sure where to start looking...

Thanks,

Jamie Strachan

• 1. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
          peterj

I am running Fedora 12 with Gnome on my old desktop at work and have not seen this. I am also running JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA with Hotspot JVM 1.6.0_17. What JVM are you running?

If you run top in another terminal, what do you see? I noticed that the java process was using about 200% CPU utilization during JBoss AS startup (I have a dual processor Pentium IV with hyperthreading truend on).

• 2. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
            jamie.s

Hey, Thanks!

java -version

java version "1.6.0_17"
            Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)
            Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

top reports upwards of 175%CPU during startup... but then it quiets down to minimal.

Things are fine until after JBoss prints "started in XXs:XXXms"

I am thinking some sort of socket conflict...

I will probably poke around the metacity website or something.

Jamie.

• 3. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
              peterj

So are you saying that the "hang" happens after the "started in xxx seconds" message? (I ask because you earlier said "10 seconds" and I have yet to find any hardware in which JBoss AS 5.1, at least the 'default' config, will start in under around 30 seconds.)

Socket hangs can cause issues, though I usually see long pauses of not activity by the app (usually JBoss AS) waiting on the socket. Have you noticed any other networking issues after your upgrade to Fedore 12? It could be that the NIC driver is not quite right (I had to downgrade my laptop from Ubuntu 9.10 to 9.04 because, among several other issues, the wireless network driver did not work).

• 4. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
                peterj

But that brings up another question: which config are you running? If 'all', could you try 'default'?

Also, try running with IPv6 turned off. You can do that by setting JAVA_OPTS to -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
                  jamie.s

Thanks for the good ideas, Peter!

Earlier, I think I said 10 seconds after JBoss started, by which I meant after the "started in..." message. Oops, Sorry...

Actually, I am running a custom config, which is built for our custom deployment, which includes default + some bits of 'all', including the jboss-cache components and the HA components.

I will try launching clean default and all, and the IPv4 only configs.

Thanks!

Jamie.

• 6. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
                    psabbate

All,

A couple months ago I had the same issue on my Ubuntu 10.10 distro. I installed 11.04 and everything went ok until now. After a deep research I realize that there were conflicts in the ports numbers , so I changed them  and it works!

To change the ports go to <PROFILE_PATH>/conf/bindingservice.beans/META-INF/bindings-jboss-beans.xml

I hope this helps,

• 7. Re: Strange desktop problem: Gnome locks up when I start JBoss5.1GA
                      psabbate

I figure out what's the exactly problem.

In server/xxx/conf/bootstrap/bindings.xml I founded that

<!-- JBossTS Transaction Status Manager -->

<bean class="org.jboss.services.binding.ServiceBindingMetadata">

<property name="serviceName">TransactionManager</property>

<property name="bindingName">transactionStatusManager</property>

<property name="port">4713</property>

</bean>

And the port 4713 is already used by PulseAudio, so I changed the port in the Jboss configuration and everything works ok.

Pablo Abbate

http://www.nissigroup.com.ar