6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 11:01 AM by thomas2008ch

A question about dependency injection @EJB

thomas2008ch

In the EJB3 there is a new feature called dependency injection. With this new feature one doesn't need using the JNDI lookup calls. I try use this but it doesn't work. I get NULL-Pointer Exception.

Here are my codes:

@Remote
      public interface MyTestBeanRemote {
       public String test(String msg);
      }

@Stateless
      public class MyTestBeanImpl implements MyTestBeanRemote {
       public String test(String msg) {
       return "Hello, " + msg;
       }
      }

public class TestEJB3Client4 {
       @EJB
       private static MyTestBeanRemote beanRemote;

public static void main(String[] args) {
       System.out.println(beanRemote.test("I am here."));
       }
      }

• 1. Re: A question about dependency injection @EJB
          jaikiran

In JBoss-4.2.x (or prior versions) the injection will not work for standalone clients or servlets. It works only in the EJB layer. The injection in application clients and servlets is supported in JBoss-5 (which is in Beta).

• 2. Re: A question about dependency injection @EJB
            thomas2008ch

"jaikiran" wrote:
            In JBoss-4.2.x (or prior versions) the injection will not work for standalone clients or servlets. It works only in the EJB layer. The injection in application clients and servlets is supported in JBoss-5 (which is in Beta).

I've downloaded the JBoss 5 Beta4. But it's the same, i.e. I got the NULL-Pointer Exception.

With JBoss 4.2.1 I can use the
            "@RemoteBinding(jndiBinding = "MyJNDIName")" which you told me yesterday.

But this doesn't work in JBoss 5 Beta4. I can't find the JNDI Name in the JNDI View List. If I run my client, I got Exception like:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: MyJNDIName not bound

• 3. Re: A question about dependency injection @EJB
              jaikiran

"thomas2008ch" wrote:

I've downloaded the JBoss 5 Beta4. But it's the same, i.e. I got the NULL-Pointer Exception.

I haven't tested it myself. I have seen users mentioning that the injection works in servlets with JBoss-5 Beta 4. But i don't know whether it works in application clients yet.

"thomas2008ch" wrote:

With JBoss 4.2.1 I can use the
              "@RemoteBinding(jndiBinding = "MyJNDIName")" which you told me yesterday.

But this doesn't work in JBoss 5 Beta4. I can't find the JNDI Name in the JNDI View List.

In JBoss-4.2.x, the @RemoteBinding was part of org.jboss.annotation.ejb package.

import org.jboss.annotation.ejb.RemoteBinding;

In JBoss-5, the @Remote binding is now part of org.jboss.ejb3.annotation package.

import org.jboss.ejb3.annotation.RemoteBinding;

Did you ensure that you changed your bean to use this new package?

• 4. Re: A question about dependency injection @EJB
                thomas2008ch

In JBoss-4.2.x, the @RemoteBinding was part of org.jboss.annotation.ejb package.

In JBoss-5, the @Remote binding is now part of org.jboss.ejb3.annotation package.

Did you ensure that you changed your bean to use this new package?

• 5. Re: A question about dependency injection @EJB
                  thomas2008ch

But this doesn't work in JBoss 5 Beta4. I can't find the JNDI Name in the JNDI View List.

• 6. Re: A question about dependency injection @EJB
                    thomas2008ch

To jaikiran:

You are right.

Many thanks!