11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 1:45 PM by alrubinger

BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value

anil.saldhana

ant -f build-test.xml one-test -Dtest=security5

If you place the break point in BeanContainer->getAnnotation for method

FirstBean->echo and the annotation "RolesAllowed", you will see that it returns a RolesAllowed("Echo") when it should have been RolesAllowed("InternalRole"). The FirstBean is getting called with a "Echo" role. So there is some caching done by getAdvisor() of bean container.

• 1. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
          alrubinger

I'd meant to update you on my progress here.

There's no caching in the BeanContainer; what's going on is that we're explicitly adding this metadata:

22:54:44,298 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB FirstBean: [InternalRole]
          22:54:44,298 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB FirstBean: [Echo]
          22:54:44,403 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method *(null) of EJB SecondBean: [InternalRole]
          22:54:44,403 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB SecondBean: [InternalRole]
          22:54:44,403 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB SecondBean: [Echo]
          22:54:44,516 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB SimpleStatelessBean: [Echo]
          22:54:44,663 INFO [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB SimpleStatefulBean: [Echo]

I'm finding why.

S,
          ALR

• 2. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
            alrubinger

PS - don't bother looking for this logging, I've added it locally only so far:

Index: core/src/main/java/org/jboss/ejb3/Ejb3DescriptorHandler.java
            ===================================================================
            --- core/src/main/java/org/jboss/ejb3/Ejb3DescriptorHandler.java (revision 81924)
            +++ core/src/main/java/org/jboss/ejb3/Ejb3DescriptorHandler.java (working copy)
            @@ -27,6 +27,8 @@
             import java.lang.reflect.Method;
             import java.util.ArrayList;
             import java.util.Arrays;
            +import java.util.Collection;
            +import java.util.Collections;
             import java.util.Iterator;
             import java.util.List;
             import java.util.Map;
            @@ -1089,6 +1091,12 @@
             {
             annotation.addValue(roleName);
             }
            +
            + // Log and add
            + log.debug("Adding @" + RolesAllowed.class.getSimpleName() + " for method "
            + + method.getMethodName() + "("
            + + method.getMethodParams() + ") of EJB " + method.getEjbName() + ": "
            + + Arrays.asList(annotation.value()));
             addAnnotations(RolesAllowed.class, annotation, container, method);
             }
             }

S,
            ALR

• 3. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
              alrubinger

jboss-metadata is leaking permissions from bean to bean within a JBossMetaData. I'll be opening a ticket and resolving there.

ie. by changing the permissions on SimpleSessionBean, we now see this affecting FirstBean:

23:12:05,476 WARN [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB FirstBean: [InternalRole]
              23:12:05,476 WARN [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB FirstBean: [EchoSLSB]

S,
              ALR

• 4. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                alrubinger
                • 5. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                  alrubinger

Proposed patch:

Index: src/main/java/org/jboss/metadata/annotation/creator/ejb/jboss/RolesAllowedProcessor.java
                  ===================================================================
                  --- src/main/java/org/jboss/metadata/annotation/creator/ejb/jboss/RolesAllowedProcessor.java (revision 81835)
                  +++ src/main/java/org/jboss/metadata/annotation/creator/ejb/jboss/RolesAllowedProcessor.java (working copy)
                  @@ -73,6 +73,30 @@
                   methods = new MethodsMetaData();
                   perm.setMethods(methods);
                   }
                  +
                  + /*
                  + * JBMETA-152
                  + *
                  + * Check that we haven't already defined permissions for this method
                  + */
                  + MethodPermissionsMetaData permissions = metaData.getMethodPermissionsByEjbName(ejbName);
                  + if (permissions != null)
                  + {
                  + for (MethodPermissionMetaData permission : permissions)
                  + {
                  + for (MethodMetaData methodMetaDataInPermissions : permission.getMethods())
                  + {
                  + // If this method's already been added
                  + if (methodMetaDataInPermissions.matches(mmd.getMethodName(), mmd.getMethodParams().toArray(new String[]
                  + {}), mmd.getMethodIntf()))
                  + {
                  + // Do nothing
                  + return;
                  + }
                  + }
                  + }
                  + }
                  +
                   HashSet<String> roles = new HashSet<String>();
                   for(String role : allowed.value())
                   roles.add(role);

Makes for expected output in "security5" tests:

03:40:31,934 WARN [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB FirstBean: [InternalRole]
                  03:40:32,108 WARN [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method *(null) of EJB SecondBean: [InternalRole]
                  03:40:32,169 WARN [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB SimpleStatelessBean: [EchoSLSB]
                  03:40:32,308 WARN [Ejb3DescriptorHandler] Adding @RolesAllowed for method echo([java.lang.String]) of EJB SimpleStatefulBean: [EchoSFSB]

...though the tests still fail. :(

S,
                  ALR

• 6. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                    zbedell

By any chance has any further development happened on this issue or its patch? It looks like JBoss 5.1.0-GA incorporates this patch, but I'm running into a NullPointerException in org.jboss.metadata.annotation.creator.ejb.jboss.RolesAllowedProcessor within the added code.

This bit:

if (existingMethod.getMethodName().equals(mmd.getMethodName())
                     && existingMethod.getMethodParams().equals(mmd.getMethodParams()))
                    {
                     // Do nothing
                     return;
                    }

When a method comes in with zero parameters (the exitingMethod MethodMetaData object toString() looks like "MethodMetaData(ejbName=EntitySessionBean,interface=null,method=*,params=null)", JBoss throws NPE on deployment when the exitingMethod.getMethodParams() call returns null and .equals() on that blows up.

I haven't entirely ruled out some deployment and/or packaging problem with the application, but I'm not sure how best to figure that out. The app deploys fine under JBoss-4.2.3.GA, and there are no other messages even at TRACE level logging that point to a packaging problem.

The app is using EJB3 annotations of course and is overriding some elements in both ejb-jar.xml and jboss.xml. Both of those pass schema validation using the jboss_5_0.xsd schemas.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
                    Zac Bedell
                    New York State Unified Court System

• 7. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                      alrubinger

Any NPEs must be addressed. Would you please paste that stack trace here?

You can open a JIRA for this under project JBMETA.

Ultra bonus points if you want to attach a patch to the issue for a new test case exposing the NPE:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/metadata/trunk/src/test/java/org/jboss/test/metadata/jbmeta152/unit/OverriddenNotAdditiveRolesAllowedTestCase.java

...just add it in there. :)

S,
                      ALR

• 8. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                        zbedell

JIRA created: https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBMETA-207

I'm going to dive in & see if I can get a patch together. The code's easy to fix, but I've not previously tried to build & integrate JBoss components... That and Maven gives me hives... ;-)

• 9. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                          jaikiran

"zbedell" wrote:

I'm going to dive in & see if I can get a patch together. The code's easy to fix, but I've not previously tried to build & integrate JBoss components... That and Maven gives me hives... ;-)

This might be a good start http://www.jboss.org/ejb3/build.html

• 10. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                            jaikiran

Ah, I now realize the fix is in jboss-metadata project and not ejb3 project.

• 11. Re: BeanContainer.getAnnotation returning the old value
                              alrubinger

Zac: Feel free to open a new topic to address your issues in building, etc.

In general you'll probably want to pull down AS trunk:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/trunk/

..then metadata:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/metadata/trunk/ metadata

Make your changes/tests in metadata, then:

mvn clean install

To integrate your new metadata SNAPSHOT with the AS build, you update in AS component-matrix/pom.xml:

<version.org.jboss.metadata>1.0.0.CR16</version.org.jboss.metadata>

...to the correct version. Then build AS:

as_trunk$> cd build; ./build.sh

Again, any issues, just open a new Thread and we'll walk you through anything not covered in the Wiki.

Also see http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/MavenSettings for the M2 settings you'll need to access our public repos.

S,
                              ALR