11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 11:15 AM by ahmed_a

Installation issues

Although I've followed all the steps here:
      http://www.jboss.org/teiiddesigner/downloads.html
      And the install finishes without error inside a freshly downloaded Eclipse IDE. Nevertheless, the "Designer" perspective is not available.

Here´s my eclipse build info:

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.4.2
      Build id: M20090211-1700

• 1. Re: Installation issues
          blafond

Can you verify that the Teiid Designer feature is installed by opening the Help > About Eclipse Platform > Feature Details dialog?

• 2. Re: Installation issues

I have a similar problem. After following the steps, I have the feature installed, but only Database Development and Debug perspectives show up, in 'Other...'. These don't look anything like what I was expecting.

• 3. Re: Installation issues
              blafond

I've added a "Installing Teiid Designer" article to the Wiki. You can find it at: http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-13464

It basically adds screen shots to the same steps found on the project's download page but using a specific 3.4.2 Eclipse Linux version.

Again, if you can provide more detail on which Eclipse Package you started with (including Operating System) it would be very helpful.

• 4. Re: Installation issues

I started with eclipse-SDK-3.4.2-win32.zip - on win XP 64
                Added
                emf-sdo-xsd-SDK-2.4.2
                GEF-ALL-3.4.2
                mdt-uml2-SDK-2.2.2
                xsd-runtime-2.4.2
                xsd-sourcedoc-2.4.2
                to get it to stop complaining
                Teiid shows up as an installed feature. However, I get no new options under New -> Project and no Perspectives

• 5. Re: Installation issues
                  blafond

I successfully installed Teiid Designer in the same win32 version of Eclipse using the instructions at: https://www.jboss.org/teiiddesigner/downloads.html

My machine was only an XP 32, but that should not be an issue. There appears to be a 64 bit version of Eclipse SDK you could try too.

If you tried to install the dependent Eclipse plugins (GEF, EMF, etc) first then added the Designer via extracting from zip, you may have to launch your Eclipse with a new Workspace or use the "-clean" option to insure the feature set gets re-constructed.

• 6. Re: Installation issues

I tried to install on a completely different machine and OS:
                    eclipse-jee-ganymede-SR2-macosx-carbon.tar.gz
                    teiid_designer_6.0.0.v20090306.zip

Under perspectives, I see Database Development and Database Debug
                    There are no Entries under New -> Project

Given that this is happening on two different setups, I can only assume PEBKAC; I must be missing something obvious

• 7. Re: Installation issues
                      blafond

First, did you follow the instructions at: https://www.jboss.org/teiiddesigner/downloads.html ?

If not, what steps did you take to 1) install Eclipse and 2) install Teiid Designer into Eclipse?

I just installed the LINUX JEE SR2 version. After installation there were 16 perspectives available, so if you only have 2 (Database Development and Database Debug) perspectives, then your Eclipse probably wasn't successfully installed.

Remember also that you should be using Java 1.6?

• 8. Re: Installation issues

I followed the instructions listed. I have a good installation of the EE environment; I can see those EE perspectives.
                        What I can't see are the SQLExplorer, Designer and MetaMatrix perspectives listed on http://docs.jboss.org/teiid/designer/6.0/user-guide/perspectives-chapter.html
                        I can see Database Debug, Database Development and Resource perspectives, which were added by the installation, I assume

• 9. Re: Installation issues
                          blafond

Ok.... our project download page states that Teiid Designer cannot run on Mac OS X because it requires Java 1.6. (Mac OS X - Does not support Java 1.6. Will be available in Eclipse 3.5.)

So I'm guessing that's why it's not successfully installing.

We also have not tested on a 64 bit Windows XP machine so I can't test your scenerio.

In both instances, you can maybe locate the log files in either your .metadata folder of your runtime workspace, or under the configuration folder in your Eclipse install directory. You can also check the "Help > About Eclipse Platform > Configuration Details" dialog. If you can forward a copy of these details they should indicate any bundle/feature loading or dependency issues/problems. (blafond@jboss.org)

• 10. Re: Installation issues
                            jpav

Just to be clear - The problem is not that Mac OS X does not support Java 1.6 - it does. Rather, Eclipse itself is currently compiled using a 32-bit JVM (presumably using Java 1.5), while Teiid Designer must run in Java 1.6. Normally not necessarily an inconsistency, but thus far Apple only supplies a 64-bit version of Java 1.6, not the 32-bit version that Designer would need.

• 11. Re: Installation issues

As I suspected, it was PEBKAC; the Windows machine had an entry for JAVA_HOME that was set wrong. Fixed it by pointing to the Java 6 directory.